Cyrillic subtitles with wrong encoding (1 Viewer)

arizal

August 13, 2008
Home Country
Bulgaria Bulgaria
TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: Version 1.0 RC2
MediaPortal Skin: Default Blue
Windows Version: WinXP
CPU Type:
HDD:
Memory: A-DAta DDR2 800
Motherboard: Intel
Video Card: Nvidia 7900GS
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card: SB Audigy 2
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: No
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Hello there.
I installed the Media Portal today and its great software. I like the looks and the features.
Here comes a little 'but'
In the Movie section -> subtitles cant select cyrillic font. Only Western appears on all fonts. The language is selected to bulgarian but the subtitles appear with the wrong encoding. No problem with other players.
I have DivX G400 codec and vobsub 2.something version. Appearently the internal player wont use the G400 codec so I installed vobsub and subtitles appeared but as I said with the wrong encoding.
Any Ideas? Please help, this renders the whole thing kind of useless ;)

Best Regards

arizal

August 13, 2008
Home Country
Bulgaria Bulgaria
I tried using postprocessing filters but they also wont display any subtitles. The DivX400 is not showing at all and the ffdshow subtitles filter makes the movie screen freeze.
It looks like that the internal player will only use VobSub if available but it overwrites the VobSub font settings and sets its "Western" fonr.
I am actualy talking about .srt subtitles :) not dvd stuff
Anyone?

piranha

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 17, 2005
    Does your language version of windows match language of subtitles? If not, that's where your problem is.
    You have to change "Language for non-unicode programs".

arizal

August 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Bulgaria Bulgaria
    Hmm, is there another way. Maybe if I edit directly the config file( supposing its in xml too) I can set the font encoding there? I think the problem is with the Font select controls in the configurator rather than with the player itself? In fact I was able to make subs show properly by forcing VobSub options while the movie was playing. The problem is that Media Portal resets this every time I play something...

I don't want to use The "language for non-unicode programs" option because I had a lot of problems with it in the past. Many programs don't display properly their gui with this on. For example HP printer drivers were showing large fonts which don't fit in printer props unresizable window so I had no way to see half of the controls, laptop management software shows crap with it and so on...

stefanros

Portal Member
    July 2, 2006
    Greece
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Does your language version of windows match language of subtitles? If not, that's where your problem is.
    You have to change "Language for non-unicode programs".
    Perfect,
    Your proposal solved my Greek sub-title problem with .mkv files with external .srt files!!

thanx
    Stefan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom