Daemon tools or something else wrong (1 Viewer)

stringcheesy

Portal Member
April 29, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have just downloaded and installed Daemon tools, and set up a virtual drive. Everything works great until the DVD .iso gets mounted. I get the "20th Century Fox" logo screen with the text, "This disk is not formatted to play in this region.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong here. I have ripped the .iso file using PowerISO, and the DVD is a U.S. bought NTCS region DVD.

Can anyone give me some feedback?

Best regards,:D

String

citizenkeys

Portal Pro
May 17, 2009
Home Country
try using daemon tools lite. i tried using daemon tools pro and it wouldn't work no matter what i did.

also, after you setup daemon tools lite, make sure you disable "secure mode". otherwise, daemon tools will ask you to confirm mounting the .iso but you may not see the confirmation box because it will be behind mediaportal.

ABOUT FFDSHOW TRYOUTS
also, make sure you use "ffdshow tryouts" in media portal's config program as your dvd video and audio decoders.

when i switched to daemontools lite and ffdshow for the decoders, everything worked absolutely perfectly.

unlike xbmc (xbox media center), upon which mediaportal is based, mediaportal itself includes no codecs.

rather than installing a bunch of codecs or a "codec pack", you can install ffdshow tryouts and that single codec (ffdshow) calls all the other codecs that are included with ffdshow tryouts.

a mention of ffdshow tryouts should be included in the mediaportal install documentation. in fact, offering to install ffdshow tryouts with mediaportal in the mediaportal installer might even be a really good idea.

get ffdshow tryouts from here, install it, and then set it up as your codecs in the mediaportal config program.

ffdshow tryouts:
ffdshow tryouts | Official Website

stringcheesy

Portal Member
April 29, 2008
Home Country
ffdshow tryouts

Hello again Citizenkeys,

I went an downloaded ffdshow tryouts direct from their website.

When I go to install it, Spyware Doctor halts the installation and says:

Threat name - RogueAntiSpyware.UltimateDefender!ct
Details - Spyware Doctor has blocked an application attempting to access a file.
Risk Level - Medium
Infection - C:\\USERS\comp name\DOCUMENTS\MEDIA PRTAL\AUDIO VIDEO CODECS\FFDSHOW_BETA6_REV2527_20081219.EXE

I am affraid to bypass this blockage because of the nasty things I have read about Rogue AntiSpyware.

did you have any issues with this? If not, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks and best regards,

String

stringcheesy

Portal Member
April 29, 2008
Home Country
Yeah, I have Avast, and it picked nothing up either. Just Spyware Doctor... And I did a Google search on that threat Spyware Doc put in my last post, and nothing good came up.

Any comments on the Spyware Doc anomaly ?

Thanks and best regards,

String

OK I have just installed ffdshow, and applied it to my codecs, but still I get the "20th Century Fox" logo with the message, "This disc is not formatted to play in this region".

I have ffdshow set to play MPEG-2 and just about everything else in its' settings.

Any suggestions?

stringcheesy

Portal Member
April 29, 2008
Home Country
I am now cluless

OK,

I have installed Daemon tools lite, installed ffdshow decoder and applied it as the video and audio decoders for Video/ DVD playback in MP config, installed Media Slayer for DVD ripping, and I have DVD43.

However, still when I click the .iso file in MP, Daemon tools mounts it, and I get the 20th Century Fox logo saying This disc is not formatted to play in this region.

I have tweaked settings, and extinguished all of my own resources. Does anyone have any clue what is going on?

Thank you again to Citizenkeys and Spragleknas for your support, however I'm still in a pickle.:(

any suggestions are welcome.

One last thing, MP seems to be freezing up on my sometimes when I click on the .iso file to play it. Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated.:D

citizenkeys

Portal Pro
May 17, 2009
Home Country
try another dvd .iso file and see if that works. it sounds like that you did not remove the region encoding when you ripped the dvd to .iso . maybe also try re-authoring the dvd using dvdshrink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom