Database Errors causes numerous issues (1 Viewer)

Amedy

Portal Member
December 10, 2010
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.2
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3Wide
Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP3
CPU Type: AMD Phenom II X4
HDD:
Drive 1: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Drive 2: Western Digital WD7500AADS 750GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5
Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTS 250
Video Card Driver: Version 6.14.12.5896
Sound Card: RealTek High Definition Audio
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver: 5.10.0.6069
1. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR 1950
1. TV Card Type: USB External
1. TV Card Driver: 3.1.27238.0
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPC Gabest
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPC
h.264 Video Codec: Divx
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Cable One
HTPC Case: NA
Cooling: Standard heatsink/fans
Power Supply: 1000W - unsure on brand at this time
Remote: Hauppauge Silver 45 Button
TV: Cable - No Box
TV - HTPC Connection:

Essentially, menu options inside MediaPortal.exe cease to function. For example, in Weather I am unable to change or select another city (the menu to view my list of cities just doesn't open). In Music, none of my music files appear - the directories are not listed at all. Even my disc drives fail to display. the screen is just blank. The option to Switch View, fails to work. Any options within the settings menu become unusable - Ie changing Aspect Ratio - clicking on the options does absolutely nothing.

I do not have any plugins installed. This is a new installation and the only plugins that are enabled are the ones that are enabled by the default. The issue does not exist in debug mode, nor when I launch the program normally through Watcher. However, the log files still report the errors. Please keep in mind that this is a clean install and the XP hotfix was applied. The problem began after I updated my video collection for the first time with IMDB information.

I would really appreciate some support with this and thank you in advance.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Looks like you have not opened up the config applications? Opening up the TV setup application will probably sort out the error with the TV server and if you open up the MP config you will be able to add cities to your weather screen.

For music you might need to import your files into the database or setup your music folders (again in the config application)

Amedy

Portal Member
    December 10, 2010
    I assure you I have ran both Client and Server configurations. On the client configuration side of things - I have added multiple cities under the weather section, I selected my music folder, videos folder, updated grabber scripts, scanned/updated Video files, adjusted general settings (simple stuff, fix nvidia stuttering, display on second monitor etc), I also adjusted the remote settings.

On the server side configuration the only thing I set up was my TV tuner card and scanned for channels. I haven't added EPG plugins yet or anything other than the options that were available by default.

So far, I do not have any issues with the TV Tuner card. The issue only exists when trying to view my music folder and attempting to select various menu options like switch view, or select city.

I'll attach some screen shots.

MusicFolders.JPG

WeatherCities.JPG

MusicMPView.JPG

MusicFolderInfo.JPG

WeatherMPview.JPG

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    After you've been into Music could you attach the logs then?
    Btw, you do use shares view(from left menu views)?

Regards
    Roy

Amedy

Portal Member
    December 10, 2010
    Attached is the error log.

I am unable to switch views with the current issue. I click on switch view (with either remote or mouse - it makes no difference) and I can hear the audible clicking sound it makes, but it fails to function. This issues is evident for 90% of the default menu options available.

There is also some interesting additional information you should be aware of. I can cause it to function perfectly IF i launch the application through Watchdog.

For example:
    Open WatchDog.exe > Select Option 2 (The one that reports it to Skin and Plugin dev's) > Test menu functions and music folder in MP > Functions normally

Now to my understanding, Option 2 within WatchDog.exe copies my current MediaPortal xml file to a temporary location, sets logging to debug mode, and then upon exit it will zip all the files up. Clearly something else is going on because I can work-around my bugs by launching it through Watchdog. I can even close Watchdog.exe out, while MP is still open, set MP to close to tray, and restore it without any issues.

However, any time I launch MediaPortal.exe alone it will not function as intended.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Something seems to have gone wrong with the settings. Could you delete mediaportal.xml from the config directory. This will reset everything and you will need to reconfigure again but this will hopefully fix your issues

Amedy

Portal Member
    December 10, 2010
    I was hoping it would have been that simple =( Unfortunately it did not resolve the issue. Here is a detailed step by step list of what I tried.

1. RENAME MediaPortal.xml TO MediaPortal.xml.Old
    2. DELETE MediaPortal.xml.bak
    3. Launch MediaPortal.exe > It Opens MediaPortal Config
    4. General > Applied the following:
    + Apply workaround to fix MediaPortal freezing on resume on some systems
    + Restart MediaPortal on resume
    + Use Screenselector to choose on which screen MP should start
    5. Videos > Video Folder > Edits My Videos > Select Video Folder D:\Movies
    6. TV > TV Client: Set TV Host
    7. TV > Uncheck Select Channel by index (non-US)
    8. Music > Music Folder > Edit My Music > Select Music Folder D:\Music
    9. REMOTE > Select use Hauppauge Remote
    10. WEATHER > Change Temp to Fahrenheit > Wind to MPH > Add 2 cities
    11. OK
    12. Start Media Portal
    - Issues remain

DELETE XML files again
    LAUNCH MP > Config
    OMIT Editing General Settings
    REPEAT Steps 5-12
    - Issues remain

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Does it work when you haven't configured anything special(on clean install, open config & close it)?
    Also try disable the remote, maybe thats the one causing it?

Regards
    Roy

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I've started again with the first logs. Could you try the following with your original Mediaportal.xml:

Change the IP in TV Client to something other than your machine and then change it back (your database is setup as mssql and the default install is mysql so that looks wrong). This should only cause issues with TV but it will rule out one error.

Amedy

Portal Member
    December 10, 2010
    David you are on to something with that one.

I changed the Hostname to some invalid IP address and started MP - it worked fine (Except for the tv obviously)
    Whenever I changed the Hostname back to my computer name or to the IP address itself (I tested both) it went back to the same problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom