daylight savings time fun (1 Viewer)

kimnach

Portal Member
March 18, 2008
Hinckley, OH
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
just re-installed MP and i noticed an oddity in the tv guide. next week's programs (post dst on sunday 2am) are listed as starting one hour earlier. for example, a show which starts at 8pm on tuesday, is shown in the 7pm slot. i checked on my family room htpc, which runs gbpvr, and the listings are in the right time slot.

i'm sure it will correct itself after 2am sunday.

kimnach

Portal Member
March 18, 2008
Hinckley, OH
Home Country
well, i'm not sure what has happened.

i just came down (10:48pm) to watch last night's The Event and tonight's V, which were to have been recorded at 9pm last night and tonight, respectively. instead, the shows in the hour timeslot before were recorded (i.e., the shows in the 8pm timeslot). i have new tv guide data loaded nightly.

looking at the tv guide, it still lists all shows at the incorrect time: one hour earlier than they should. (for example, V is shown as 8pm, not as 9pm as it should.)

just to clarify my tv guide for tonight on ABC shows No Ordinary Family at 7pm, and V at 8pm: an hour early. looking to next week, same thing in the tv guide.

this cannot be a schedules direct problem, since the htpc in the family room (running gbpvr and also getting sd lineups nightly) is listing shows properly.

thoughts?

fwiw: after this follow-up, i deleted the tvguide.xml (created by xmltvgui) and the cable and atsc guides downloaded by xmltv. i then re-ran the configuration for xmltv.exe (to ensure the -0400 time zone, instead of -0500 for EST), and the guide times are still off.

another update.

I once again deleted the xmltv.xml file from both my "cable" and "antenna" subdirectories, re-configured each guide by running "xmltv.exe tv_grab_na_dd --configure #" in each of those directories, and downloaded a fresh listing for both the ATSC and cable. I then ran xmltvgui to concatenate the two resulting xmltv.xml files and load the resulting tvguide.xml file in "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\xmltv." I rebooted the machine--which does have the correct time!--then forced a tvguide reload in the tv server configuration, started MP, and the same result: every show is an an hour-early timeslot! (i then checked and this is the case in the xmltv.xml files).

i grab the two listings seperately because one is for the ATSC and the other for TWCable.

Again, the family-room htpc, running on XP Home with gbpvr with its integrated SD grabber, is working correctly. This is the first time I have been using MP during a time change. Come to think of it, i've only been using win7 since November '10. Maybe that's the problem.....whatever "that" may be.

I certainly have had "interesting" problems on computers over the past thirty+ years.....back to pulling hair.

kimnach

Portal Member
March 18, 2008
Hinckley, OH
Home Country
One step closer.

Just discovered something: although I save the mappings in the xmltv configuration in the MP Server Config, the saves don't take. Now, there is a problem with this discovery.

It is inconsistent with what I expect to happen.

When mapping channels, I have two choices for each station. In the ATSC channel mappings i have an option which contains the string PC:44136 and one without. I require the PC:44136 version, the one without SHOULD result in a NO DATA Available in the TV Guide.

Two problems:

First, when I save the XmlTV mappings (PC:44136 version of channel for ATSC, and OH66550:- version for TWC), they always revert to the incorrect mapping. For example, I select "5-1 WEWSDT PC:44136 (XMLTV_import...)" for the channel, save it (nice green progress bar and finished message), exit TV Server configuration, restart TV Server config, and the mapping is back to the default--and incorrect--mapping "5-1 WEWSDT (XMLTV_import...)".

Second, as I mentioned, with these incorrect mappings the TV Guide should have "data unavailable" in each of the show slots. At least that's what it had shown prior to this little exercise in futility.

I'm attaching logs for the TV Server, since that now seems to be the issue. For all the lines, it tells me nothing is amiss.

Is my only solution to yet again un- and re-install MP?

Attachments

• tv.zip
    11.6 KB

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Please post full server logs.

Xmltv settings not being saved sounds like there is an error during save. But without full logs it hard to know.

kimnach

Portal Member
    March 18, 2008
    Hinckley, OH
    Home Country
    arion_p, when i posted the other night that was all that was available because i had deleted old logs prior to running the config and everything else.

last night i completely uninstalled MP and MySQL and re-installe MP1.1.3 (stand alone seat). I just finished mapping channels and and importing the guide. everything is still off by an hour. so i'm either missing something very obvious, or win7 is at fault(?).

again, i'm in GMT-4 (my system clock is correct) and reconfigured the SD download. full logs from my fresh install of MP are attached. (win7 shows only UTC-5 for my time zone: in SD config, I've tried with both -4 and -5, but it always downloads correctly at -4.)

thank you in advance!
    greg

p.s. here, for example is the xmltv.xml file portion for the channel 5 news at 6pm which shows up in the TV guide at 5pm. (this is not the TVguide.xml file entry, but the raw download from SD prior to conversion with xmltvgui.exe.)

<programme start="20110318180000 -0400" stop="20110318183000 -0400" channel="I21101.labs.zap2it.com">
    <title lang="en">Newschannel 5 at 6</title>
    <category lang="en">News</category>
    <category lang="en">Series</category>
    <episode-num system="dd_progid">SH00330210.0000</episode-num>
    <video>
    <aspect>16:9</aspect>
    <quality>HDTV</quality>
    </video>
    <subtitles type="teletext" />
    </programme>

UPDATE:
    I just downloaded and installed npvr and imported the xmltv.xml file downloaded earlier. npvr has the tv shows in the correct time slots, so it is safe to say that the issue is within MP. I attached a screen capture of MP and NPVR showing the issue. Note, as an example, "Fox 8 News at 10" ....

Yet Another Update
    This is just silly. I tried the "apply time compensation" option. Assuming that I needed to add one hour, I did so. The reloaded guide was then off by 7 hours! Applying with 0 hours, it was off by five, with -1 it was off by 4. Back to not applied, it's back to being off by one. I also tried re-setting the clock to weeks into the past and future, then rebooting and resetting (as someone had done in these forums): no luck.

Silly MP....

28 March 2011 Update
    Last week I did a clean re-install of win7 Home Premium and upgraded to Win7 Pro (to allow remote connection from my home office machine), and the same idiocy continues with MP. It absolutely will not list the TV shows in the correct time slots. Using the "Apply time compensation" option moves the shows all over the place, but not by the +/- 1 hour increment that I expect. Perhaps I have to apply minutes of compensation to shift it by an hour? I still cannot believe that no one else has experienced this! I'm just not sure if this is an issue with MP or with its xmltv plugin. NPVR has no issues with the xmltv listings downloaded from SD: it may not be as pretty, but it certainly works. I had started a thread in the General forums last week with the hope that I'd get some help.

Attachments

• DST_trouble.JPG
      DST_trouble.JPG
      173.4 KB
    • tv.zip
      182.1 KB
    • MediaPortal.zip
      10.7 KB

hd1

April 1, 2011
    hi,

count me in. i have the same issue here since the switch to summer time.

i also tried to change the time compensation within the xmltv plugin. it didnt work as expected ...

but i had no time to ivestigate further so far.

MP 1.1.3 with mc2xml on Win7 32bit.

regards

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    The wiki page is very vague on this :(

Here is how it works:
    1. Checking "Apply time compensation when loading tvguide.xml" will take into account any timezone information present in tvguide.xml. Essentially this will convert all times to UTC.
    2. Then, regardless of the previous setting, Hours:Minutes will be added to whatever time resulted from the previous step

Taking this tvguide.xml snippet for example:
    Code:
    <programme start="20110318180000 -0400" stop="20110318183000 -0400" channel="I21101.labs.zap2it.com">
        <title lang="en">Newschannel 5 at 6</title>
        <category lang="en">News</category>
        <category lang="en">Series</category>
        <episode-num system="dd_progid">SH00330210.0000</episode-num>
        <video>
          <aspect>16:9</aspect>
          <quality>HDTV</quality>
        </video>
        <subtitles type="teletext" />
      </programme>
    Start time = 18-3-2011, 18:00 UTC-4
    Stop time = 18-3-2011, 18:30 UTC-4

Case 1:
    - Apply timezone unchecked
    - Hours = 0

After applying 0 hours compensation
    Start time = 18-3-2011, 18:00
    Stop time = 18-3-2011, 18:30

Case 2:
    - Apply timezone checked
    - Hours = +4

After applying timezone info:
    Start time = 18-3-2011, 14:00
    Stop time = 18-3-2011, 14:30

Then applying +4 hours compensation:
    Start time = 18-3-2011, 18:00
    Stop time = 18-3-2011, 18:30

However when you switch to winter time, unless your xmltv source changes too (in which case you would get 18-3-2011, 18:00 UTC-5), you need a different configuration:

Case 3:
    - Apply timezone unchecked
    - Hours = +1

After applying +1 hours compensation:
    Start time = 18-3-2011, 19:00
    Stop time = 18-3-2011, 19:30

Case 4:
    - Apply timezone checked
    - Hours = +5

Then applying +5 hours compensation:
    Start time = 18-3-2011, 19:00
    Stop time = 18-3-2011, 19:30

Unfortunately this way it is impossible for xmltv imported to handle daylight saving time universally.

Btw do you have enabled "Delete old programs before import"?
    Enabling this will help if your xmltv grabber takes daylight saving time into account (i.e output UTC-4 for summer time, UTC-5 for winter time)

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Twice a year this is driving me crazy !!!

I'm still trying to get this fixed since the March change. Can get the programs one hour early or one hour late, but not right.

I do not understand what the compensation really does, I do not understand under what circumstances the EPG is truly updated with the modified compensation ...

Fiddel, fiddel, fiddel, ...

I think this is what is happening;

A change in the time compensation (checking/unchecking the box or changing the hours) is only taken into account after you press 'ok', in other words after you close the TV configuration.

So if you change the time compensation and then force an input nothing changes.

When you do that again not the last but the change from before shows. So you keep chasing your tail.

You have to change the time compensation, close the TV configuration, open it again, force an input and then close the TV configuration again.

I'd say this qualifies as a bug.

VdR

hd1

April 1, 2011
    hi guys

Here is how it works:
    1. Checking "Apply time compensation when loading tvguide.xml" will take into account any timezone information present in tvguide.xml. Essentially this will convert all times to UTC.
    2. Then, regardless of the previous setting, Hours:Minutes will be added to whatever time resulted from the previous step

that did the trick for me - as far as i can see :)

i thought about one hour more for summer and not (in my case: germany) two hours more from UTC for summertime .

thank you, arion!

this one is for you: :D

kimnach

Portal Member
    March 18, 2008
    Hinckley, OH
    Home Country
    well, i fixed my problem the old-fashioned way: i re-installed everything.

i was so frustrated that nothing had worked: not the time compensation, not re-installing MP, not restoring Windows from a backup and then installing MP, not re-configuring SD/xmltv. so many hours wasted (as has been the case of the past 20+ years of microjunk o/s'es).

friday night i told myself that if installing windoze and all of the applications didn't work, then i would just stick with npvr (GB-PVR mediacentre. TV, Music, Video, Pictures, DVD). it may not be as pretty as MP, but gbpvr has been much more stable on my system the past four years. well, it worked (knock on my wooden head) and i'm in the process of configuring and then will back everything up. i'm not sure what was at fault, but at this point it doesn't matter.

here's 'till the next time change:)

greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom