[Bug] DB address not correctly set in multi-seat installation. (1 Viewer)

karniemi

Portal Pro
November 11, 2010
Just upgraded one of my clients from a failed 1.2.0beta installation (a failed 1.2.0beta installation with mpaux-thingie, for which the RC introduced a fix.) Installation went fine, but I has an issue with the DB connection string in Gentle.conf.

Starting first time, the configuration dialog appeared, I set the IP for TV-server, checked WOL usage. Then started the client again. No connection to TV-server; I had entered the wrong IP. Changed it to the correct one in clients dialog, still no connection. Switched server on manually, because I remembered that WOL learning mode requires that the server must be running when the client is first started ( or maybe I've understood it wrong...=)...). Now client reported that ports are OK but DB is still not available. I remembered to have struggled with this earlier so I checked the Gentle.config on the client -for some reason the MySQL connection string said that DB is running on "localhost" -I changed there the IP of my tvserver and got it working.

Is the DB address really meant to be updated "manually" on Gentle.config -or should it be changed automatically when I set the tvserver IP address? Luckily I remembered that I had had similar problems earlier. New users might make odd faces as they can't know this stuff. (Of course, some geek might have the DB running in another IP, but I think that's an advanced configuration for which the geeks could make the extra effort.)
(-I might remember wrong from past, but at some point it _seemed_ to me as if the DB connection string is reformed/malformed when the client gets first connection to tvserver. As if it copied the connection string from the server or something...)

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
June 17, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just upgraded one of my clients from a failed 1.2.0beta installation (a failed 1.2.0beta installation with mpaux-thingie, for which the RC introduced a fix.) Installation went fine, but I has an issue with the DB connection string in Gentle.conf.

Starting first time, the configuration dialog appeared, I set the IP for TV-server, checked WOL usage. Then started the client again. No connection to TV-server; I had entered the wrong IP. Changed it to the correct one in clients dialog, still no connection. Switched server on manually, because I remembered that WOL learning mode requires that the server must be running when the client is first started ( or maybe I've understood it wrong...=)...). Now client reported that ports are OK but DB is still not available. I remembered to have struggled with this earlier so I checked the Gentle.config on the client -for some reason the MySQL connection string said that DB is running on "localhost" -I changed there the IP of my tvserver and got it working.

Is the DB address really meant to be updated "manually" on Gentle.config -or should it be changed automatically when I set the tvserver IP address? Luckily I remembered that I had had similar problems earlier. New users might make odd faces as they can't know this stuff. (Of course, some geek might have the DB running in another IP, but I think that's an advanced configuration for which the geeks could make the extra effort.)
(-I might remember wrong from past, but at some point it _seemed_ to me as if the DB connection string is reformed/malformed when the client gets first connection to tvserver. As if it copied the connection string from the server or something...)

i have the exact same issue will try your fix and report back

ok i cant edit this file, how can i ammend the file?

Arn01805

Portal Pro
July 31, 2006
Breda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I had the same issue. Closing mediaportal and restart it solves the issue for me. I've seen this behavior on the beta and alpha release too, just the first time starting mp after upgrading. After restarting it never failed again.

Btw: i' ve a multiseat configuration with a separate dedicated ms SQL server 2008, 2 clients and a tvserver.

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
June 17, 2011
Home Country
I did a fresh install of rc1 and restarted it several times but still same issues.

just getting an svn version 28164 see if its any better

Same problem except ive now edited the gentle config file and saved it but when i start mediaportal it re writes the localhost and so looses what i had altered and fails to connect to the database still.

karniemi

Portal Pro
November 11, 2010

-A fix to my report: it might have been a "clean" client install -not an upgrade as I first thought. I propably had removed the failed 1.2.0 beta installation (at least at some point when troubleshooting)-so for the 1.2.0RC installation I had to go through the "whole" installation wizard-not just the upgrade.
-Further, I just upgraded one of my successfully installed 1.2.0beta clients, and had no problem with that. WOL worked right away, DB address was just fine in Gentle.config.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    What you should enter is the hostname of the server, not the IP. ;)
    What I would be very interested in is the gentle.conf from the TV-Server installation.

C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\Gentle.config

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
    June 17, 2011
    Home Country
    Ive been using both the hostname and the ip and neither seem to work for me, will upload the file requested in 2 secs

Attachments

• Gentle.rar
      2 KB

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Ive been using both the hostname and the ip and neither seem to work for me, will upload the file requested in 2 secs
    I am wondering if "localhost" is in the config serverside.
    Then when the client connects to the server, it asks for the database. And the server tells the client -> "localhost", which will not work for very obvious reasons. ;)

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
    June 17, 2011
    Home Country
    ok thanks for input, i changed the streaming server to the local ip but it never changed the details in the config file, so i altered those manually in the tv server and on the client machine config file and now it connects as intended, hope this helps.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    ok thanks for input, i changed the streaming server to the local ip but it never changed the details in the config file, so i altered those manually in the tv server and on the client machine config file and now it connects as intended, hope this helps.

Have you ever updated gentle config on server manually?
    When you setup TV Server did you initially enter an IP address instead of a host name?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom