Decent quality tv tuner, possibly remote, and one other question (1 Viewer)

Hinde

Portal Member
November 16, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I want to make my aging pc into an entry-level htpc so I am looking for a pci tv tuner that encodes on the card and will display nicely on a medium sized tv. If the model doesn't come with a remote, please tell me the preferred remote model. Finally, although this question applies to how well my initial experiences with this htpc goes, does mediaportal currently support two tuners?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    what card are you looking for?
    - dvb-c, -t, -s
    - analog
    - ATSC

MediaPortal can handly as many tuners as you can plug into your HTPC ;-)
    has been tested with 5 tuners.

mclog

Portal Member
    November 6, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I would have the same question for DVB-S with CI/CAM. Using Technotrend Budget S1500 right now, encoded channels are slooooowww to zap, and, from reading other forums, the BDA drivers seem to be pretty poor, probably accounting for some stability issues I have.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I would have the same question for DVB-S with CI/CAM. Using Technotrend Budget S1500 right now, encoded channels are slooooowww to zap, and, from reading other forums, the BDA drivers seem to be pretty poor, probably accounting for some stability issues I have.
    i am using a floppyDTV dvb-s CI + alphacrpyt cam and i am very happy with it :)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

mclog

Portal Member
    November 6, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    i am using a floppyDTV dvb-s CI + alphacrpyt cam and i am very happy with it :)

What sort of ZAPping times do you have on the encrypted channels? I have the Conax CAM, could the CAM itself be the problem for me? I'm about 9 seconds for the encrypted channels, 0.5 for FTA, it's driving me crazy :mad: :mad: :mad:

Anybody else had problems with the TT Budget S1500 with CAM?

Hinde

Portal Member
    November 16, 2006
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    what card are you looking for?
    - dvb-c, -t, -s
    - analog
    - ATSC

MediaPortal can handly as many tuners as you can plug into your HTPC ;-)
    has been tested with 5 tuners.

analog please.

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I am looking for a pci tv tuner that encodes on the card and will display nicely on a medium sized tv.

You're in North America, so a hardware encoding analog card is your only option for standard definition TV - I use the Hauppauge PVR150 MCE.

If the model doesn't come with a remote, please tell me the preferred remote model.

Prefered remote is whatever you want. Thats like telling you what the best place to eat at is - everyone has a different opinion. The standard PVR150 comes with a hauppauge remote that is supported by MP, but I use the PVR150 MCE. the difference between the two is that the PVR150 MCE has an FM tuner, and doesnt come with a remote. Instead i use the Microsoft MCE remote which is also fully support by MP

Finally, although this question applies to how well my initial experiences with this htpc goes, does mediaportal currently support two tuners?

As many tuners as your motherboard supports. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom