Dedicate a keyboard only to mediaportal? (1 Viewer)

mattisch

August 17, 2008
I have a HTPC setup where i recently connected another screen to my computer. So now i have 1 TV and 1 monitor connected to the PC.

I have a normal keyboard+mouse and a logitech dinovo mini (used as remote). The problem is that i cannot control Mediaportal when i am using the computer.

If a person is watching TV, he cannot change the channel if mediaportal hasnt got focus. So he has to yell to me "I want to change the channel" and then i change focus from what i was doing to mediaportal, then he can change the channel.

I want inputs from the logitech dinovo mini keyboard to go to mediaportal, even if i havent got focus on the program. Is it possible?

jwhyche

Portal Member
March 31, 2006
I don't see how that would be possible but my set up might help you out. I have used server 2003 before as a htpc platform. Media Portal would be on the main display, the tv, and if I wanted to use the computer I would remote desktop in from another machine.

Another option that I currently have setup and running is Media Portal is running on XP on the main display. Since XP is single user only I can't just remote desktop into it with out disturbing the TV. To get around this I installed IIS and Virtual Server 2005, free from microsoft. Now I can remote into the virutal machine on the htpc.

I have no idea if any of this will be useful to you but I figured I would throw it out there.

woddog

Portal Pro
November 28, 2007
Townsville, QLD
Home Country
There is now the possibility to get concurrent sessions in XP and Vista.
type "concurrent remote desktop sessions XP" in google and there are step-by-step guides on how to do this.

This will help you with your issue, but you'll obviously need another PC/laptop to connect to your HTPC.

Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom