Deinterlacing - What Have I Still Not Tried? It Simply Doesn't Work For Me!

Discussion in 'Codecs, External Players' started by EViS, April 6, 2008.

1. EViS

EViS Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    TV-Server Version: SVN 16422
    MediaPortal Version: SVN 16420
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue Wide
    Windows Version: Windows XP SP2
    CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Duo e6600
    HDD: 1863.02 GB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Motherboard: Asus P5B
    Video Card: ATI Radeon X1900XT
    Sound Card: M-Audio Rev. 5.1
    Sound Card AC3: Coax Out
    1. TV Card: Technotrend C-1500
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-C
    1. TV Card Driver: 4.4.10.18
    Remote: USBUIRT IR Receiver
    TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

I use Cyberlink PDVD7 as my codec with FFDSHOW RAW VIDEO as a filter to do the following in this order;

Deinterlacing: Tomsmocomp at 3 search effort (or) 5-tap low pass
    Crop&Zoom: 1 Horizontal Maginifaction
    Resize&Aspect: HxV with no aspect ratio correction

Despite this, video never looks great and I always see doubled scrolling titles, non-smooth fast moving images, etc. These ARE deinterlacing artifacts, correct? The above setup seems to give me the 'best' result, however it is no way near 'acceptable' to my eyes. I have also verified with graphedit that the above codecs are being used by MP.

I feel I have tried everything, but there must be something that I'm consistently not doing right as most other people don't seem to have these problems for as long as I have been (...years)...

Hence, I'm looking for any advice (in this large issue) with what I may not have tried yet and what may be worth my while. Surely deinterlacing on PC's can be as good or very close to the quality output by most £££ commerically available pieces of h/w?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Leon_Gjerland

Leon_Gjerland Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    I have had similiar problems for a long time, but at last I'm satisfied (only watching SD-TV).

My working setup is now:
    ATI HD2600 Pro (but the X1900 should be OK).
    ATI MPEG Video Decoder (on the download-page go to "Individual driver download packages..." and download "Complete Avivo™ Suite for X1000 series products or higher")
    EVR in stead of VMR (needs .NET Framework 3.0)
    In Configuration, Television, select "Deinterlace mode: None"

In Catalyst CC I have set "Wait for vertical refresh" to "Allways on" (3D) and "Use automatic deinterlacing" (Avivo™ Video)

Earlier I used ffdshow for picture-enhancement, but don't feel I need it anymore...

4. Spragleknas
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

Spragleknas Administrator

Occupied
    Ratings:
    +1,892 / 12
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    Show System Specs
  5. EViS

EViS Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    I'd like to give this a further go, however I get the following problems described in THIS thread which is preventing me from scrapping ffdshow :(...

Have you had any issues as described in that thread?

6. Spooky
    • Premium Supporter

Spooky MP Donator

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    Home Country:
    Austria Austria
    Show System Specs
    This seems contradictory since "Use automatic deinterlacing" means, that the application decides the deinterlacing method.

In my case I activated adaptive deinterlacing (with pull down detection) in the driver. It is also crucial to select the right codec for MPEG2 and H.264 decoding... I had problems with SD content at first because I accidentally selected the AVC/H.264 decoder for MPEG2 content too :) (I am using PowerDVD codecs).

7. Leon_Gjerland

Leon_Gjerland Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    It seems like you have selected aspect ratio "Original" in MP which shows the picture without scaling. You might be aware of this, but try S to switch between AR's. "Normal" is preferred.

I can confirm that!

I agree, but (from memory) I have had issues with some "low quality"-channels when selecting a spesific method, and have ended up with "Automatic".

8. EViS

EViS Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    Unfortunately this is not the problem. Original shows a very small picture whilst Normal enlarges the picture but a large (albeit smaller) border is still visible all around... As I said, this problem only exists with Discovery channels among others...? BBC/Chanel4/ITV/Five/ etc are all fine in Original as well as Normal (i.e. fullscreen is filled).

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!