Deinterlacing - What Have I Still Not Tried? It Simply Doesn't Work For Me! (1 Viewer)

EViS

Portal Pro
September 30, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
TV-Server Version: SVN 16422
MediaPortal Version: SVN 16420
MediaPortal Skin: Blue Wide
Windows Version: Windows XP SP2
CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Duo e6600
HDD: 1863.02 GB
Memory: 2 GB
Motherboard: Asus P5B
Video Card: ATI Radeon X1900XT
Sound Card: M-Audio Rev. 5.1
Sound Card AC3: Coax Out
1. TV Card: Technotrend C-1500
1. TV Card Type: DVB-C
1. TV Card Driver: 4.4.10.18
Remote: USBUIRT IR Receiver
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

I use Cyberlink PDVD7 as my codec with FFDSHOW RAW VIDEO as a filter to do the following in this order;

Deinterlacing: Tomsmocomp at 3 search effort (or) 5-tap low pass
Crop&Zoom: 1 Horizontal Maginifaction
Resize&Aspect: HxV with no aspect ratio correction

Despite this, video never looks great and I always see doubled scrolling titles, non-smooth fast moving images, etc. These ARE deinterlacing artifacts, correct? The above setup seems to give me the 'best' result, however it is no way near 'acceptable' to my eyes. I have also verified with graphedit that the above codecs are being used by MP.

I feel I have tried everything, but there must be something that I'm consistently not doing right as most other people don't seem to have these problems for as long as I have been (...years)...

Hence, I'm looking for any advice (in this large issue) with what I may not have tried yet and what may be worth my while. Surely deinterlacing on PC's can be as good or very close to the quality output by most £££ commerically available pieces of h/w?

Leon_Gjerland

Portal Pro
February 1, 2005
Home Country
Norway Norway
I have had similiar problems for a long time, but at last I'm satisfied (only watching SD-TV).

My working setup is now:
ATI HD2600 Pro (but the X1900 should be OK).
ATI MPEG Video Decoder (on the download-page go to "Individual driver download packages..." and download "Complete Avivo™ Suite for X1000 series products or higher")
EVR in stead of VMR (needs .NET Framework 3.0)
In Configuration, Television, select "Deinterlace mode: None"

In Catalyst CC I have set "Wait for vertical refresh" to "Allways on" (3D) and "Use automatic deinterlacing" (Avivo™ Video)

Earlier I used ffdshow for picture-enhancement, but don't feel I need it anymore...

EViS

Portal Pro
September 30, 2006
Home Country
I have had similiar problems for a long time, but at last I'm satisfied (only watching SD-TV).

My working setup is now:
ATI MPEG Video Decoder (on the download-page go to "Individual driver download packages..." and download "Complete Avivo™ Suite for X1000 series products or higher")

In Catalyst CC I have set "Wait for vertical refresh" to "Allways on" (3D) and "Use automatic deinterlacing" (Avivo™ Video)

Earlier I used ffdshow for picture-enhancement, but don't feel I need it anymore...

I'd like to give this a further go, however I get the following problems described in THIS thread which is preventing me from scrapping ffdshow :(...

Have you had any issues as described in that thread?

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

My working setup is now:

This seems contradictory since "Use automatic deinterlacing" means, that the application decides the deinterlacing method.

In my case I activated adaptive deinterlacing (with pull down detection) in the driver. It is also crucial to select the right codec for MPEG2 and H.264 decoding... I had problems with SD content at first because I accidentally selected the AVC/H.264 decoder for MPEG2 content too :) (I am using PowerDVD codecs).

Leon_Gjerland

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2005
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    EViS said:
    I'd like to give this a further go, however I get the following problems described in THIS thread which is preventing me from scrapping ffdshow :(...

It seems like you have selected aspect ratio "Original" in MP which shows the picture without scaling. You might be aware of this, but try S to switch between AR's. "Normal" is preferred.

Spragleknas said:
    For HD 2/3x00 owners I recommend ATI HD Registry Tweaks

I can confirm that!

Spooky said:
    This seems contradictory since "Use automatic deinterlacing" means, that the application decides the deinterlacing method.

I agree, but (from memory) I have had issues with some "low quality"-channels when selecting a spesific method, and have ended up with "Automatic".

EViS

Portal Pro
    September 30, 2006
    Home Country
    EViS said:

It seems like you have selected aspect ratio "Original" in MP which shows the picture without scaling. You might be aware of this, but try S to switch between AR's. "Normal" is preferred.

I agree, but (from memory) I have had issues with some "low quality"-channels when selecting a spesific method, and have ended up with "Automatic".

Unfortunately this is not the problem. Original shows a very small picture whilst Normal enlarges the picture but a large (albeit smaller) border is still visible all around... As I said, this problem only exists with Discovery channels among others...? BBC/Chanel4/ITV/Five/ etc are all fine in Original as well as Normal (i.e. fullscreen is filled).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom