Delay on starting Moving Pictures of approx 1 minute (1 Viewer)

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello,

When I open Moving Pictures I get a delay and one of two messages, saying either:

Initializing Data Provider Manager...

or

Updating Filtering Menu...

It seems to take around 1 minute or so, before my category list is loaded and Moving Pictures is ready to use.

I have tried a couple of things to fix it, I went through the logs and saw that it was not able to find some entries in fanart.tv for some of my rather obscure documentaries. So I have taken those films out of my collection temporarily, and I will upload some fanart to the website, before putting them back.

As that didn't fix the delay, I got IMDB+ to refresh all films (236 of them), and that didn't seem to help either.

So, I have run the MediaPortal watchdog in debug mode, to report a bug to a developer, and have attached the logs, whilst running in that mode it reported some odd error messages about something wrong with my category's, but I have checked them all and they seem okay to me.

I am running latest versions of everything, and this is on my main HTPC running Win 7 32 bt.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Many thanks for any help.

lisa

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Complex custom categories can add a long delay, especially if you for example added a dynamic one for say Actors. Those are generated each time at the start of MediaPortal.

Did you make a lot of modications to the default filters, or categories?

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for the reply.

My custom categories are all pretty straightforward, I have 8 in all and they are all 'full path' 'begins with' pointing to 8 different folders across two machines.

I have just made a new discovery with those obscure documentaries, the logs keep mentioning them not being on fanart.tv if I add them back into my collection. I have added them to fanart.tv via the moviedb.org add box on the fanart.tv website but they are still showing up in the logs as missing. It looks like if I add a backdrop.jpg and a folder.jpg to the movie folder, this would prevent MovingPictures trying to find artwork for them each time, is that right?

If so, maybe that would speed things up a little at start up?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Inside MovPic config, under details tab, select the movie in question, and then bottom left corner you can manually load a cover. This will stop MovPic from trying to retrieve artwork each time it starts.

Reminds me I have to do that myself as well again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom