Dell Studio Hybrid with MP (1 Viewer)

Razool

January 7, 2009
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hello All,

I'm new around here. I just lost my Xbox a couple of months ago. I loved this guy, especially since a friend of mine installed XBMC on it...

To fill the void left by its departure, I used an old destop PC I had and installed Media Portal on it... It is working great. I can now play 720p movies on my 42" samsumg TV. But the PC is taking way too much space and making a LOT of noise...

I was thinking about buying the middle range DELL Studio Hybrid desktop PC with Media portal instead of the big old PC:

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

What do you think?

Thanks for your time.
Raz

papas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 21, 2006
    Nicosia
    Home Country
    Cyprus Cyprus
    well it looks like a cheap and good solution.

the X3100 i guess will be ok for 720p no idea tho for 1080p.

also you should consider expandability of your hardware before buying.

the dell comes with a 320gb hd, which in my opinion is very small unless you have a network storage somewhere or you wont mind all those external disks around your system.

there are many cheap solutions nowadays in building an htpc

a good cheap case just to start with is the antec fusion series.
    check it out, its very cheap and hell of a bargain only drawback if you want it to be, that is the matx factor motherboard and the 2 bays for hd.
    but still it can fit 2tb of space.

i personally have the antec fusion and its a hell of a case.
    just check and read around, with some very cheap pieces you can set up easily a really good spec wise htpc

alexeix

Portal Pro
    January 28, 2005
    UK
    Hi,

See here for a thread on this very topic:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ware-requirements-hd-playack-client-pc-49383/

From the advice given and other things I read on the web, I decided it was unlikely that the Hybrid would be a good solution for 1080p.
    720p should be fine though.

I also found tutorials on the web, for dismantling the machine and accessing the internal components. I recall that changing the hard drive is not difficult, although other parts may prove harder to replace.

Hope that helps.

Razool

January 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks

Hi,

I'm sorry, i tried to find threads using the dell studio hybrid search key but didn't find any... That's exactly what i was looking for...

I guess i'll have to think about it... I already bought and external drive so this is not much of a concern and I just bought a 720p tv, so i'm not planning on using 1080p soon...

Thanks again.

Raz

greenteagod

Portal Member
    May 16, 2009
    Late on the reply I know but I've been running the studio hybrid and it definitely works well for 720p playback. I haven't tried 1080 in file format, but it works fine as far as playing from bluray goes.

Poko

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Me too.
    It's what I use as a TV server client, and 720p works flawlessly.
    In terms of OS, I tried Vista.. didn't like it too much, downgraded to XP, which worked ok. Now I'm running Windows 7, which works like a charm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom