Design Guidelines - Best Practices (1 Viewer)

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @morpheus_xx @wizard123 @Designers

Could we collect, maybe in wiki (if it is not there yet), kind of best practices for designers and devs as well?
    This way plugin devs might already be able to keep things for designers in mind when they write the plugin code.

There might always be things that depend on the skin, but other might apply to skinning and design in general.

Here I have a first example: https://github.com/BigGranu/Webradio_MP2/issues/10
    What is the best way to handle such cases? Hide the label, add a fallback text ??

Again, I know this might be different from skin to skin, but maybe for the default skin files we should handle such things consistent through all plugins to improve the user experience.

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    IMO the label should state " City Unavailable " etc so the user knows the option is there but not available to them.

BigGranu

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    A Fallback text/content is the simple Way. For me as Developer.;)
    Hide the Label, ist not nice for the Optics.
    Do we have a Fallback for Labels or Texts? I do not think.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I also prefer to have a consistent screen layout (means not to hide labels if content is missing). While we can implement fallback texts already using MultiBinding, it would cause a lot of (XAML-)overhead for each label. A new "FallbackContent" property would be easier.
    Another, probably the architectural best way, is a converter, which simply returns the text, or fallbacktext. This way the Label control doesn't need to be extended and the converter can be used inside any other place where texts are required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom