Different codec for different formats (1 Viewer)

kamrat

Portal Pro
May 24, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
H.264 is becoming increasingly common and I am very pleased that the new tv-engine supports this format.

However often the same codec is not optimal for both h.264 and MPEG2.
I would like to use NVIDIA Purevideo for MPEG2 and the Cyberlink-PowerDVD7.3-codec for H.264.

Would it be possible to add the possibility to setup the system to use different codecs for different content?!
Ideally you should also be able to set different audio codecs as well for the different formats. Sometimes there are different audio/video sync issues in different formats and it would be great to be able to set different delays to MPEG2 and H.264.

And finally - I know this has been mentioned before by me and others - would it be a lot of work to incoorporate the new Vista EVR-renderer into MP? That would enable the hardware H.264 decoding on the new NVIDIA-cards.

Thank's for a very very impressing feature set on the new TV-engine!

/ola

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Canberra
Home Country
thats sounds like a fairly good idea the only slight issue i can think of is perhaps channel changes may be extended cause it may need to create a new graph from one channel using a codec and then to b codec so it has to do a graph again. but i'm not sure

scythelt

Portal Pro
December 19, 2006
Home Country
Correct me if my understanding of the way codecs work is wrong, but why can't we just let windows DX filter merits determine what codec is used instead of allowing ppl to select the codecs in mediaportal?

I like your idea kamrat - I have the same situation where different decoders maybe more suitable depending on the format.

I'd propose that instead mediaportal implements a way to specify the "default" decoder for a specific filetype using the standard DX merits (much like the way FilterManager does things). That setting would then be global across all the video plugins in MP, rather than having to set a specific decoder for DVD/Video/TV etc.

That way, if the tvserver stream is h.264, then the filter graph will be built based on the highest merit filter for h.264 and if the stream is ts mpeg2 a potentially different filter graph could be built.

Having MP choose codecs and then windows also competing with codec merits makes life very difficult (and very confusing) for the average user. It's giving me headaches lately.

kamrat

Portal Pro
May 24, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
My knowledge about codecs and graphs is also limited so forgive me if I don't understand this right. The above suggestion seems resonable, however I am not sure if this will solve the problem of audio/video out of sync. To solve this I feel I need complete control of which video and audio codecs are used.
Maybe there could be a tic box that makes windows take control of codecs and when unticking it you should be able to make all selections manually.

Does any of the devs care to comment on this? Is it all a stupid idea? How much work would it be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom