Disappearing forum posts (1 Viewer)

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi
    I have noticed a problem on the forum during the last few days.
    I use the function called "New Posts", "All Forums" or "English forums" to get a list list of all topics with activity since my last visit.

Problem 1:
    When I post to a thread, the topic disappear from the list. I can still find it, if I go to "Subscribed Threads", but it should also be on the "New Posts"?
    Screenshot 1 = Subscribed Threads
    Screenshot 2 = All Forum New posts where the missing posts is supposed to slot in

Problem 2:
    Previously, The same function only showed you the active threads since your last visit. Now, it shows a lot more. See screenshot 3. This one is not a big problem.

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thats both the result of a changed setting to the forum. Instead of using cookies, it marks read threads individually by user in the database. That makes it far easier for users that change PCs very often (work/home for example) as a cookie wont work here for activity.

For 1) If you send out a new post its directly marked as read and wont show up in the 'new posts' list for you until someone else writes an answer.
    2) with this option activated its more an 'unread threads' instead of 'new'. You will see a notice at the point where you visited the forum last time: 'The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts.' To clear that list you can use the 'mark all forums as read'-link.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Thats both the result of a changed setting to the forum. Instead of using cookies, it marks read threads individually by user in the database. That makes it far easier for users that change PCs very often (work/home for example) as a cookie wont work here for activity.

For 1) If you send out a new post its directly marked as read and wont show up in the 'new posts' list for you until someone else writes an answer.
    2) with this option activated its more an 'unread threads' instead of 'new'. You will see a notice at the point where you visited the forum last time: 'The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts.' To clear that list you can use the 'mark all forums as read'-link.

One nasty side effect that this causes:

1) Write a response to forum thread
    2) Save it
    3) Fetch new posts

At this point you might want to edit the previous post (happens me all the time that I miss some information). Now its really hard to fetch the post that you replied.

So it would be really nice if the posts that you have replied wouldnt get marked as read. That information is already visible to you (as you can see the last users name in the thread list view).

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    'View all posts since x' already includes read and unread threads (unread bold, read not). Just dont use 'Show new posts for x' if you want to roll back to a read thread.
    Seems I wasnt awake too on the first reply ;P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom