Disc Queue Not Available After October 14th - Sound off! (1 Viewer)

Do you use your Netflix subscription for Streaming ONLY?

• Yes

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 66.7%

• Total voters

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Well, the project has taken yet another blow. After October 14th, developers will not be able to access the users disc queue via the API. What this means is you will be unable to view/add/remove movies to your disc queue. The Instant (or as Netflix has renamed 'Streaming') queue will still function as normal.

I know for some of you this will be no change because you dont use the Disc queue. But for myself, jmvaughn and many others this renders the plugin almost useless. I mainly use this plugin for disc management, but since Netflix's long term goal is to do away with discs and go exclusively to streaming, I am seriously reconsidering my Netflix subscription. I LOVE the quality of blu-ray movies, not to mention the HD audio and it will be YEARS before streaming will catch up video and audio wise.

Here is the article on the Netflix developers forum.... Netflix API : Upcoming Changes to the Open API Program

I'm honsetly sick to my stomach as I have put in a lot of time and effort into this 2.0 release. And it seems every week something is being changed on API's, changing structures, new versions, etc... (not just Netflix but other API,s I'm using.) With this update, I'm having to dig real deep to find the motivation to continue this project.

Sound off and let me know your thoughts. If you are as pissed off as I am, please write Netflix and let them know how much you love receiving movies and to keep the API alive.

Wile E.

poppabk

Portal Pro
    August 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Sad to hear. I only use the instant portion of the Netflix plugin as I use my laptop to manage my disk queue, so this doesn't affect me directly, but it always sucks when a company removes features from their services.
    I foresee Netflix separating their instant and disk services in the near future and charging for each separately, which will mean a price hike for those who use both services.

struggles

Portal Member
    May 12, 2009
    Garland, TX
    Home Country
    I first want to thank you for such a wonderful plugin! My Netflix is an integral part of my home theater experience. This plugin is one of the primary reasons that I chose MediaPortal.

I am also unhappy with the accelerated push towards streaming that Netflix is apparently taking. In addition, I do not like the recent changes that are being made on the Netflix website that are biased towards streaming. I agree that the audio and video quality currently provided by Bluray and DVD far exceed the average program that is being streamed.

However, I do enjoy the convience of streaming for some tv shows and movies where audio/video quality is less of a priority. I use this plugin almost exclusively for streaming. I simply prefer to use my web browser for disc queue management.

I have been eagerly awaiting the new version of My Netflix! I check the forum daily for any progress. It would be a big disappointment if development on this plugin ceased. I vote YES to keep this plugin moving forward.

BTW, I can related to your frustration. I have been a long time fan and user of SageTV who sold out to Google last week. Sigh. Things are certainly changing...

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

I will probably end up removing all the Disc features and make the plugin specific to Streaming only if I do anything. The plugin is very near a Beta stage, so I hate to give up on it now...

DrJekell

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 30, 2007
    Home Country
    I also hate that Netflix is moving more toward streaming only. That said, I only use the plug-in for streaming, mostly for old TV shows and kids stuff. I prefer to use a regular PC w/ keyboard and mouse to manage my queue.

gserg

Portal Pro
    November 21, 2009
    Home Country
    I'm very sorry to hear this. I know you have put many hours into this project. For my part, I only use the plugin to stream from Netflix. I would of course vote 'Yes' to keep it but I would grudgingly understand if you chose to abandon it. If it could be finished to the release point, maybe it could be opened up to the community to take over?

jmvaughn

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 7, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Home Country
    Well, this really sucks. I have really been looking forward to version 2.0. I mainly use My Netflix for the disc management, so this will greatly reduce the functionality. However, I would still use it for the streaming capabilities on occasion.

I will be writing to Netflix. I suggest every single My Netflix user here do the same.

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    Already done, i just get my favorite skin (aMPed) to support Netflicks and this happens, I'll still use the streaming capabilities but it is going to be a pain to have to use the browser to do DVD management. and i'm sure price changes are coming soon.

GollyJer

Portal Member
    September 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Love ordering full quality blurays but only use the plugin for streaming. Don't give up on 2.0! There are many silent observers super excited about it.

poppabk

Portal Pro
    August 8, 2007
    Home Country
    I foresee Netflix separating their instant and disk services in the near future and charging for each separately, which will mean a price hike for those who use both services.

Sucks to be right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom