Display (Album) Artist in PlayingNow (1 Viewer)

GeoS

Portal Member
August 2, 2009
near Utrecht
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: XP Pro version 2002 - SP3
CPU Type: PentiumD 820 (S) DC 2.8 GH
HDD: WD 400Gb + 250 GB SATA
Memory: 1Gb 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM
Motherboard: ECS RC410-M / Asterope3-GL8E
Video Card: GeForce 7300LE
Video Card Driver: 6.14.11.7519
Sound Card: Realtec Integrated High Definition audio
Sound Card AC3: coaxial
Sound Card Driver: 5.10.0.5282
1. TV Card: Hauppauge 150 WinTV PVRII
1. TV Card Type: Analog
1. TV Card Driver: 2.0.48.24227
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Ziggo
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: Pinnacle
TV: Samsung
TV - HTPC Connection: SubD

This isn't specific for this release but now I've got the courage to post my contribution.
Many thanks to all the people involved in this magnificent piece of software! I mainly use it for listening to music and I am extremely glad by the database and it's possibilty to show different layouts by year, artist or album artist. :D
But now for my bug:

When entering the fullscreen PlayingNow displayed artistname is from the tag Album Artist (see image 1), from then on the next song that follows (when song has ended or next song is pressed) the tag Artist (see image 2) is displayed.
After returning from display visualisation it "resets"to Album Artist. Of course this happens in all skins including the Blue3's.

This also has the same effect on the dispayed Fanart, displaying Album Artist when te Album Artist is shown, and Artist when Artist is shown.

PS
As we can choose to display Music by Artist or Album Artist, it would be nice if the display differs depending on which one is chosen. Maybe even controlable in the config, but that is probably a feature request.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    204.6 KB
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    205.3 KB

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Bug or not a bug ;)
    It shows the Artist because Album Artist is just a "sort" function & for correct statistic on last.fm etc it needs to be like that & thats wanted behavior & not a bug. I guess it could have been configurable but thats another area.

When i test here it shows correct Artist when playing starts & changes if multiple artist disc as it should, but maybe i misunderstand something...

Regards
    Roy

GeoS

Portal Member
    August 2, 2009
    near Utrecht
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    :D
    Thanks Roy for your effort to investigate this,

In my quest to map this behaviour I figured that most probably on entering the PlayingNow-screen the artist displayed is read from the database and on return it's read from the tag.

Here's how I figured this out (I'm sorry if it's a bit bulky but I'm not a native speaker of English and I try to make an understandable summary)

:oops:
    I remembered that I have created a workaround for the "different than I expected behaving" of the .
    The workaround is as follows:
    I tagged my (27k!) mp3 this way
    tag album artist: filled with artist who released the album,
    tag artist: filled with releasing artist and participants
    after that I updated MediapPortal's database
    and then I switched the contents of above tags (this is necessary or else you get multiple albums when not every song has the same artist participating like on Various Artist albums or a single duet on an album.)
    This time consuming proces takes me now just over half an hour, I did this twice to see what happens when I let the tags as they are when updating the database.

Now the album on the PlayingNow-screen is indeed both ways displaying the artist tag.

If the artist-tag is filled with the one who releases the album then I should put the participants in the album-artist tag. But then every combination of artist results in a new album in the listviews. So my guess is that the album-artist tag should contain the releasing artist, and that the artist-tag should additionally be filled with participants.

But then again NowPlaying shows the artist-tag with the participants In the overview of NowPlaying album, year, track and (album-)artist.
    And (probably most) skins who display names in the album listview use the also artist-tag and not the album-artist-tag.

Of course that doesn't appear when you fill both tags with the same value (the releasing artist), but there is the possibility to select a view displaying by artist or album artist.
    This seems like a contradiction to me and leaves me puzzled how this is intended to work.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    When viewing in Music do you use "Artist" view or "Album Artist" view, to me from your post it sounds like you use Artist when you should have used Album Artist?

tag album artist: filled with artist who released the album,
    tag artist: filled with releasing artist and participants
    ^thats how i have it & view it's set to Album Artist & everything shows fine here.

Regards
    Roy

GeoS

Portal Member
    August 2, 2009
    near Utrecht
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I use both frequently (and also grouped by year).
    Sometimes I want to see which albums an artist has released, sometimes I want to see on which they collaborated.
    Just to mention a few numbers out of my collection, I have 9 Dave Weckl albums an 12 more albums with different artists in which he participates. I have no Steve Gadd album at this moment but 16 albums where he participates, 13 Marcus Miller releases and 30 more where he appears.
    These are no exceptions and that's why I'm so happy with MediaPortal. It still looks to me that's how it's supposed to be as there is a possibility to choose which layout Artist or AlbumArtist. I still can't think what other use there can be for those choices?

The only way I figured out (my workaround) to get very close to that is by retagging the whole collection before and after the database-update.
    So maybe the "bug" is that the grouping of an album should be on the album-artist-tag and not on the artist-tag. (I'm not sure if that's correct English)

I'm not a programmer but discussing and thinking of it here, there might be a chance that the mentioned makes this possible.

As it is dazzling me to crosscheck that I'm not mixing things up, I hope it's not to confusing and you can follow my thoughts. (again I'm not sure if that's correct English)

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Ok,
    Did you use the "Threat tracks in individual folder as an album" & can you attach logs from a scenario like in first post where pictures are from?
    & what is your setting for Play Now behavior?

Regards
    Roy

GeoS

Portal Member
    August 2, 2009
    near Utrecht
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I don't know exactly what you mean by logs. The pictures I could think of are are attached.
    As you can see I do use a checked "Treat tracks in an individual folder as an album".

The Configuration, Now Playing and Misc Settings are clear I guess.

The screenshot tagged as 1 yearview is a screenshot with visible inside it the tags of the album Only Everything by David Sanborn. As you can see there there are 2 tracks with collaborating artists : track 7 with James Taylor and track 4 with Joss Stone. The albumartistview tagged as 1, artistview tagged as 1 and NowPlayingView tagged as 1 are the corresponding views for this tagging.
    Tracklist tagged as 1 strangely has no album covers in front of the two mentioned tracks.

The tagged as 2 yearview contains also the tagshot of this album how it was when I updated the database. The albumartistview tagged as 2, artistview tagged as 2 and NowPlayingView tagged as 1 are as above mentioned.
    Tracklist x tagged as 2 are the tracklists for al three showing albums. The first contains all songs, the 2 following for each collaborating artist one album with that song. Tracklist 1 tagged as 2 shows all albumcovers in front of the songs.

I hope this is helpful.

Attachments

• Tracklist tagged as 1.jpg
      Tracklist tagged as 1.jpg
      124.8 KB
    • NowPlayingView tagged as 1.jpg
      NowPlayingView tagged as 1.jpg
      120 KB
    • artistsview tagged as 1.jpg
      artistsview tagged as 1.jpg
      139.3 KB
    • albumartistsview tagged as 1.jpg
      albumartistsview tagged as 1.jpg
      98.3 KB
    • tagged as 1 yearview.jpg
      tagged as 1 yearview.jpg
      178.1 KB
    • Misc settings.jpg
      Misc settings.jpg
      19 KB
    • Now Playing.jpg
      Now Playing.jpg
      32 KB
    • Configuration.jpg
      Configuration.jpg
      78.6 KB
    • Tracklist 2 tagged as 2.jpg
      Tracklist 2 tagged as 2.jpg
      69.4 KB
    • Tracklist 1 tagged as 2.jpg
      Tracklist 1 tagged as 2.jpg
      125.5 KB
    • NowPlayingView tagged as 2.jpg
      NowPlayingView tagged as 2.jpg
      124.2 KB
    • artistsview tagged as 2.jpg
      artistsview tagged as 2.jpg
      143.7 KB
    • albumartistsview tagged as 2.jpg
      albumartistsview tagged as 2.jpg
      111.2 KB
    • tagged as 2 yearview.jpg
      tagged as 2 yearview.jpg
      181.2 KB
    • Tracklist 3 tagged as 2.jpg
      Tracklist 3 tagged as 2.jpg
      69 KB

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    I wonder if this is a side effect (or also a bug, but needs to test further) of threat all in a folder as album or that artists are somehow separated, but going to test like you have above & see what result I get & report back.

Regards
    Roy

GeoS

Portal Member
    August 2, 2009
    near Utrecht
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thank you for your effort
    This evening I'm not at home so if you got any questions I'll possibly reply them tonight or tomorrow.

greetings Gijs

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Ok, try to rename the multiple artist from "David Sanborn;;James Taylor" to "David Sanborn, James Taylor", seems like that ;; causes some issues, maybe we use the same as separator in MP(no time to check now).

Btw weekend is weekend, no rush with anything :D

Regards
    Roy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom