Does/can MP disable deinterlacing if ... ? (1 Viewer)

thiskl

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 10, 2005
    Perth, Western Australia
    Home Country
    Does/can MP disable deinterlacing if the DVB-T stream is progressive?

This could be of particular interest to Aussies given the ABC is moving to broadcast HD at 720p. I'm not interested in starting another 720p vs 1080i discussion.

Those interested can read about it here and here.

I want to discuss how it's affected my MP setup, and I'm not sure whether it's a codec issue, a MY TV software issue, or both.

For clarity, this is my setup...

Area: MY TV / Codec
    MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.0
    MediaPortal Skin: Razor
    Windows Version: Windows XP (SP2)
    .NET CLR Version: 2.0.50727
    DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
    Audio Codec: MPA
    Video Codec: PureVideo v1.02-196
    CPU Type: AMD64 3200+
    Memory: 1 GB
    Motherboard: ABIT UL8
    TV Card Model: DViCO FusionHDTV Plus
    TV Card Type: DVB-T
    TV Card Driver: 3.41
    TV Card Model: DViCO FusionHDTV Plus
    TV Card Type: DVB-T
    TV Card Driver: 3.41
    Video Card Model: Radeon 9800 Pro (128 MB)
    Video Card Driver: Catalyst 6.5
    Video Card Resolution: 1152x648
    Video Render Type: VMR9
    Audio Card Model: Realtek AC'97 Audio
    Audio Card Driver: 5.16

Synopsis::

Using the PureVideo codec, whenever I select a DVB-T stream that contains progressive content (instead of interlaced), I get horrible stutters. The stuttering does not occur if I use either the MPV, or DViCO codec.

I chose to bold that last sentence because a lot of people assume stuttering is caused by insufficient hardware. That may be true in some instances. However, I don't believe it's hardware this time, else my stuttering would/should occur with all codecs.

I suspect the PureVideo codec is still trying to deinterlace the non-interlaced content, which is screwing with successive frames, and that's causing the stuttering. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As a workaround, I'm currently using the DViCO codec to watch Live TV. However, I can't use the DViCO codec to watch recordings (don't know why).

Having to remember which codec I'm using, and then remembering to change codec to suit each channel is starting to wear thin.

I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions.

thiskl

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 10, 2005
    Perth, Western Australia
    Home Country
    I've made some progress. :)

Firstly, by finding a new version of PureVideo has been released. This has reduced, but not removed the stutter.

Secondly, by not relying on 'Automatic' within the Setup->Decoder Filters->PureVideo Decoder Settings->De-Interlace Control. Instead, I set de-interlace control to 'Film' mode, so de-interlacing is not applied.

The progessive DVB-T sources no longer stutter. 8)

I am reasonably satisfied with this work-around, as my main motivation was the upcoming screening of the series "Planet Earth".

As I stated in the OP above, the broadcaster will be using 720p@50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom