Codecs Does SAF 6.0 support HD audio bitstream with no DXVA enabled? (1 Viewer)

somy

Portal Pro
March 7, 2010
Denmark
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi,

Does SAF 6.0 support HD audio bitstream with no DXVA? Another question I have is why SAF needs Halli? The MKV splitter in MPC is better than Halli IMO. Anyway, I'm looking for a codec pack which can do HD audio bitstream and doesn't use DXVA for video decoding (the reason being the PQ is low as luma expansion introduces banding). Right now I have to set up splitters and decoders manually which is really a headache.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
SAF6 support Audio HD bitstream, it is only limited by hardware - you need HDMI connection, Win7 and GPU (+HD reciever) that support it.

If your hardware doesn't support DXVA, then decoding automatically fall back to SW decoding - no problem here - but this have nothing to do with HD audio.

And where you read that SAF6 need Haali? SAF6 is standalone project, there is no need to install anything else.

somy

Portal Pro
March 7, 2010
Denmark
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi Hoborg,

Thank you very much for the reply. Actually my HD5770 supports DXVA, but I don't want it because it produces low PQ. Let me try to clarify my questions:
1) Is it possible to configure SAF 6 not to use DXVA?
2) What are the benefits of LAVF splitter comparing to Gabest?
3) What are the benefits of LAVF audio decoder comparing to FFDShow which can already bitstream HD audio?
4) Does SAF 6 come with a pre-configured MPC-HC as the old versions?
5) Does SAF 6 work on 64 operating system?
Thank you in advance!

Rgs,
Mai

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
1)Yes. In FFDshow DXVA decoder disable h.264 DXVA and in START - SAF - PDVD - use Disable DXVA. But disabling DXVA in pdvd will have bad effect for LiveTV quality - you will have only 1/2 FPS and only SW deinterlacing. Do you have any proof that DXVA produce worse PQ then SW decoding?
2+3) LAVF is faster, support more formats, and if somebody found any bug, it is fixed as soon as possible.
4) Yes, MPC-HC installed by SAF6 is fully preconfigured. It should work as it is without any issues.

somy

Portal Pro
March 7, 2010
Denmark
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi Hoborg,

It is actually not the DXVA decoder itself, but when DXVA decoder output to EVR, the renderer has to convert video luma range 16-235 (cannot remember clearly) to 0-255, and this process introduced bandings. See my blog regarding the banding section: Calibrate HTPC for optimal video output « Mai Sun's Blog
And the screenshot: http://sunmaiblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/image5.png

I can only solve this problem by configuring HQ RGB conversion in FFDShow and with dither enabled.

BTW, I don't know whether the new drivers from ATI can output untouched YUV via EVR, but I doubt so.
hoborg, does SAF 6 work with Windows 7 64bit?
Thanks!

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
BTW, I don't know whether the new drivers from ATI can output untouched YUV via EVR, but I doubt so.
hoborg, does SAF 6 work with Windows 7 64bit?
Thanks!

Yes, why not? But there is no x64 DirectShow support in SAF6 - there is no reason for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom