Dropping Frames / Codec Problem

Discussion in 'Codecs, External Players' started by Eddman_Inc, May 16, 2011.

1. Eddman_Inc

Eddman_Inc Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    Hi

I've been struggling with my codec settings for months now - I get one file type working, and another goes awry.

The attached image shows my current codec and renderer settings, which play all the files on my HDD (a combo of MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H264 and XviD files) perfectly without dropping many frames, except the MPEG-2 DVD backups (made using VOB2MPG) which, unfortunately, form the vast majority of my movies and TV series. With these settings, I lose frames in the hundreds after just a few seconds.I've played MediaPortal in a window to check the CPU usage, and its negligible, so I reason it must be my codec settings.

I've found that if I alter both the audio codecs to MPC-MPA Decoder Filter I can play pretty much all the files on my HDD but I lose a lot of frames on the HD files, so much so as to render some of them unwatchable, and the supposedly lossless MPEG-2s don't look as good as on the DVDs.

System specs: 4.00GB RAM, 1.60GHz Intel Atom, running Windows 7. Very little installed beyond what's needed to run MP and play Blu-rays.

Is there any magic combination that makes everything work (optimistic I know), or - if it's a case of trial and error - are there any codec packages or combinations that anyone could recommend? I currently have Shark 007's Win 7 codec pack installed together with the Media Player Classic and PowerDVD 10 Codecs.

If anyone could offer any advice on upscaling using MP, I'd also be very grateful.

Logs attached.

Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. deadmonty
    • Premium Supporter

deadmonty MP Donator

IT and Business Process Manager
    Ratings:
    +21 / 4
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    According to your logs, Mediaportal is not using the MS DTV-DVD video decoder. This shows in both the Error.log and MediaPortal.log.

You should use Graph Studio to determine what it is using.

Hope that provides some sort of pointer to your problem.

Cheers

Paul

4. Eddman_Inc

Eddman_Inc Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    Thanks - I'll give it a try.

Ed

5. sparky21
    • Premium Supporter

sparky21 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Lads,

I have managed to equally stuff myself around Codecs in Media Portal and would be grateful for some assitance. I am running 1.1.2 and everything was working fine and I have now really got myself in a pickle. Nothing a guru around Codecs couldn't help me out of however.

When playing .ts files I get buffering of the graphical rendering but the audio keeps at a normal rate. makes for some very fustrating motorsport viewing indeed.

I am not sure how to supply logs but will happily do anything asked of me to recieve a remedy to the issue.

Any takers? I would extremely grateful !

I have about three Codec packages now installed on the comuter in a vain hope that one option that MP might picked up on might solve the issue for me. Basically however I am lost, and kicking myself for playing with what wasn't broken in the first place.

Where do i go to throw .log files from the program onto the board here for someone to lend a hand?

Sparky

6. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,205 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi sparky21

Oh, man! Definitely don't mess with what is working. That is basically the first rule of HTPCs. ;)
    With codec packs: the more you have, the more chance things will break.

Logs are definitely required. There is a link in my signature telling you how to do it. Its really easy. There will be a link in your start menu MediaPortal folder to MediaPortal debug-mode. Use that to start MP in debug mode, reproduce the bug (ie. play a TS file or watch TV in your case), then close MP. Logs and other system information will automatically be collected and zipped up. All you have to do is post them here...

• Like Like x 1
  7. sparky21
    • Premium Supporter

sparky21 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Ok the now proud owner of some log files. Next ? :sorry:

I'll do and try whatever is suggested including uninstalling whatever I need to, run any third party app to cull and manage codec packages and anything else needed, anything.

8. Paranoid Delusion
    • Premium Supporter

Paranoid Delusion Moderation Manager

Electrical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1,482 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    I would uninstall all codec packs, then run filmerit (link in my signature), should show errors, unlock repair function with the padlock icon, then use the button to it's left to repair all or do it manually one by one, then reboot.

You might like to try installing haali matroska splitter if on win7 only or hoborg's SAF6 with other OS (can be used for win7 as well, just trying to be a minimalist :)), which I have working nicely with my files.

• Like Like x 1
  9. sparky21
    • Premium Supporter

sparky21 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Give me 15 or 20 minutes and i'll be right back. Running your advice as you read this.

Sparky

10. sparky21
    • Premium Supporter

sparky21 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Ok Uninstalled everything I could ran filmerit accepted all changes. Rebooted and fired Mp. Still jumpy on .ts files. Installing the splitter now also hopefully will help. New log file attached as i am still experiencing the issue, at least a little.

I would say that a couple of things happenned however when firing MP clean. It displayed program program program with an option of yes or no when arriving at the main screen of MP. I press yes, not knowing what i was being asked. When then proceeding into the TV section to try to play .ts files, MP went in and resotred itself from a backup somewhere.

Happy to keep going to try to resolve the issue and grateful for anyones assistance.

Sparky

11. hoborg

hoborg Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 2
    Home Country:
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Show System Specs
    @sparky21:

Firstly, check your error.log...

If you dont wan't to spend days tuning our codec setup, just install *unlocked* SAF and configure MePo acording SAF thread first page.
    Done :)

• Like Like x 1

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!