[confirm] Dropping frames - MP neverending story (1 Viewer)

lordie

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 19, 2007
    Prague
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 RC1
    MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
    Windows Version: Win7 Ultimate 64
    CPU Type: AMD BE-2350e
    HDD: 2x 2,5" WD 512GB
    Memory: 2GB
    Motherboard: ASUS 690G
    Video Card: GeForce GT 220
    Video Card Driver: 197.13
    Sound Card: integrated
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: Pinnacle PCTV Dual DVB-T Pro 2000i
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    1. TV Card Driver:
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: MS codec
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: MS codec
    h.264 Video Codec: MS codec
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case: Thermaltake VF7001BNS DH 101
    Cooling:
    Power Supply: 350W Fortron
    Remote: Gyration
    TV: Panasonic TH-37PX80E
    TV - HTPC Connection: DVI->HDMI

Hi,

yesterday I installed MP 1.1 RC2 and unfortunatelly I am facing to the same problems as in RC1 - Live TV is stuttering frequently. I really hoped that this problem will be solved by the huge amount of bugfixes between those 2 versions. The stuttering is caused by droped frames (it is not just few frames, but tens) time to time. I tried almost everything possible to avoid this situation (try different codecs, exchange graphic card (ATI->NVidia), disable C&Q functionality), but nothing really helped.
    Before I will downgrade to release 1.0.2 and win XP, which at least in case of SD TV worked WITHOUT such problems, I would like to ask if anybody has any idea or hint, which could help me to fix this problem.
    I attached logs from yesterday evening, there are several places recorded, where problem occured. Last one is from 23:19:41. (Latency checker program didn't show any abnormality. I am using StreamedMP sking, but with default Blue3Wide without any additional plugin, the same problems occure.)

Thanks

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Your system is pretty low spec. Try to monitor disk activity to see if it is related.

After upgrading to RC2, all playback would periodically stutter because, thumbnails where being rebuilt, the music database was being reorganized and MovingPictures and My TV Series would scan for movies/series.

Also note that live TV causes twice the disk activity as simple playback, because the same data is first written to disk then read back.

Wiesel

Portal Member
    April 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I also can't notice any improvement of RC2 over RC1. I tried ffdshow (newest version), PowerDVD 7 and Microsoft codecs, and all have massive frame drops. If I press SHIFT+1 to watch the graphs, they're showing almost always high amplitudes. The only exception is the MPC codec which results in nearly straight lines and only looses one or two frames every now and then. The latency checker tool for me also doesn't indicate any abnormality. WMC and ProgDVB don't have any problems with these codecs.

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    For good performances with MediaPortal you need at least and ATI HD4670 or Nvidia9500 if you output to a 1080p (FULLHD) TV. This is due to the ati hack introduced in MP 1.1b.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    One thing you can check, but you need to access the motherboard BIOS, is that your HDD\s are running in UDMA and not PIO mode, the later severely screws up read\write speeds.

This happened to me that as a failsafe the mobo will revert settings on its own, if it thinks there is a HDD problem, which I did have with a sata cable.

Juppe

Portal Pro
    November 17, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Do you have any anti-virus program installed, in that case try to exclude the folders where you have your timeshift and recording stored.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    0002748: Remove ATI flickering hack - MediaPortal Bugtracker

But in any case GT220 is more than enough for MP and 1080p/i.

To bad this can't be removed. Is it possible to post a patch? That way community users can compile their own version if they want to (not using ATI 5xxx ;)). Maybe after 1.1 final?

If you check the Mantis entry more closely you'll see that it has been already removed :)

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hi.

I'd like to suggest following scenario. I had similar problems with my system. And there was lot of them.
    At first I advise you to do what i did here:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-support-51/stuering-hd-sometimes-sd-my-solution-80199/

And I did not install latest NVidia drivers because they are not good. Now I'm using 186.91 If i remember right. Quite early Win 7 driver anyway.

Secondly I had problems with another pinnacle pctv tuner for dvb-t. Solution there was to change generic network provider to dvt-t network provider.
    You seem to have x64 version of win7 so are all these suggested tryouts possible in Win7 x64.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom