DTS-HD and TrueHD pass-trough with Xonar HDAV1.3 (1 Viewer)

Jaybeam

Portal Member
December 28, 2008
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
With this step by step guide we will show how you can bitstream HD audio to a compatibel reciever in combination with a Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 card. In this guide we will use Windows 7 but it should work with previous OS also, iff not beter.

Beware: HD audio passtrough in mkv or m2ts is only made possible recent and not perfect yet.

- FF or REW with files containing TrueHD will break sync or playback. This is a known issue with ffdshow and will be resolved soon I believe.
- In Windows 7 after playing a file with HD audio you will have to restart your player before playing SD audio. The audio renderer doesn't seem to release very well. I could not test iff this occurs under XP or Vista.

------Prep work---------

Make sure you have a full working copy off ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3, retail or Asus.

Get the latest FFDShow that best suits your system from here.

Get the latest MPC standalone filters from here. (Found on the right of the page)

UNINSTALL any previous versions of FFDShow and Haali Matroska Splitter if you have them on your current system and then REBOOT.

------Installing FFDShow-----

Launch your FFDShow installer and then hit NEXT until you get to the Speaker Setup options, choose the setup that best suits your computer configuration, hit NEXT until you you have to INSTALL, then do so.

24kxv9z.png

After installation completes you'll be given an option to launch FFDSHows Audio Decoder,check that and then hit Finish.

2ytw4ev.png

When the decoder opens you should be on the OUTPUT screen, if you use an external A/V receiver and use S/PDIF or HDMI for output place check marks in the appropriate boxes for "ALL" the audio types that you want to pass through, including Standard AC3 and Standard DTS if you wish to use your S/PDIF or HDMI for these stream types also.

ffdshow2b.png

Check the box "Connect as PCM first" in the top right corner and select "Try all formats (default)" from the dropdown list. Select "Connect to: any filter" from the bottom dropdown list and hit APPLY.

ffdshow3.png

Next move to the top option on the left pane "CODECS",in the right pane you will be choosing "libavcodec" for the following formats, AC3,E-AC3,True HD,MLP and DTS click APPLY and then OK. DONE!

28tgkk7.png

------register filters-----

Unzip the standalone filters and copy "MatroskaSplitter.ax" and "MpegSplitter.ax" to your System32 folder found under c:\Windows.

Press "Start" and type cmd in the search box. Launch the cmd prompt as Administrator.
Type: regsvr32 MatroskaSplitter.ax and hit ENTER.

When everything went ok, you wil get confirmation.

succes.png

Type: regsvr32 MpegSplitter.ax and hit ENTER.

Type: regsvr32 "c:\Program Files\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 3\Codec\ASAudioRenderer.dll" and hit ENTER.

REBOOT

------configure mediaplayer-----

We will show how to configure MediaPortal and MPC-HC but pass-trough will work with any mediaplayer that lets you configure the used filters and audio renderer.

MediaPortal :

Start MediaPortal Configuration. Go to "Videos" submenu "VideoPlayer"
Select "ffdshow AudioDecoder" for AC3 decoder and "ArcSoft Audio Renderer" for audio renderer from dropdown lists and hit OK.

mediaportal.png

MPC-HC :

Run MPC-HC and hit "o" on your keyboard to open the options screen.
Go to "Playback" submenu "Output" and select "ArcSoft Audio Renderer" from the bottom dropdown list.

mpc1.png

Next go to "Internal Filters" and uncheck "DTS/AC3" from the source filter list.
Uncheck everything but "AC3" and "DTS" from the transform filters list.

mpc2.png

Next go to "External Filters" and hit "Add Filter..." in the top right corner.

mpc4.png

Scroll till you see "ArcSoft Audio Renderer" select and hit OK.

mpc3.png

Repeat 2 previous steps for "ffdshow Audio Decoder"
Remark: Iff any off the above is allready in your list before, you should skip that specific filter. Or you will end up with this filter twice in your list!

Now, with these to filters in your list set EACH filter as "prefer".
Hit OK and your done.

mpc5.png

------other settings-----

Right-click the Speaker icon on your taskbar and select playback devices.
Select "S/PDIF pass-trough device" (Asus Xonar) hit SET AS DEFAULT and then OK.

playbackdevices.png

Below you can see my personal settings for Asus Xonar Center.

xonark.png

Now everything should be set to enjoy HD audio.

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I will try this later in the day. Do I have to follow the steps for MPC-HC, even if I don't use it. Or is this neccessary?

Jaybeam

Portal Member
    December 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    ...or use SAF, it will do all automatically

Unless you register the ArcSoft renderer and use it, mediaportal will not be able to pass-trough HD audio with a Asus Xonar.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic

Unless you register the ArcSoft renderer and use it, mediaportal will not be able to pass-trough HD audio with a Asus Xonar.

Well, to be honest, it is possible. Did you tryed MPC audio rendere filter? It is recommended to use it on FFDshow thread.
    I have plan to add it in to SAF.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Well, to be honest, it is possible. Did you tryed MPC audio rendere filter? It is recommended to use it on FFDshow thread.

1) MPC-HC audio renderer is really buggy currently (at least a while ago). Hangs really often with TsReader, has huge A/V sync issues with haali and TsReader

2) I remember reading (doom9 forums / ffdshow bitstreaming thread) that Arcsoft renderer is required for Asus Xonar (I guess it is driver level restriction, for copy protection purposes)

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic

1) MPC-HC audio renderer is really buggy currently (at least a while ago). Hangs really often with TsReader, has huge A/V sync issues with haali and TsReader

2) I remember reading (doom9 forums / ffdshow bitstreaming thread) that Arcsoft renderer is required for Asus Xonar (I guess it is driver level restriction, for copy protection purposes)

OK, then i must correct myself - SAF will do all the steps automatically except Arcsoft renderer :)

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Already tried SAF. And it works with the Arcsoft renderer. Only problem till now, is that AFTER playing the m2ts file with DTS-HD MA audio, the audio isn't working anymore in everything else (TV, MKV etc....) It just displays DTS-HD MA on my receiver all the time.

When I restart Mediaportal, everything is fine.

Jaybeam

Portal Member
    December 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I Appreciate your effort, but you probably incuded it as a standalone filter. This sadly won't do the trick.
    You need a complete TMT3 install and register the renderer from within it's installation folder.
    I've tried to make it work as a standalone without luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom