Dual purpose: PC/HTPC - sound? (1 Viewer)

Mono

December 13, 2007
Hi,

I'm building a new PC soon, however I want to be able to use it both for traditional PC functions and HTPC functions.
What I want to do is setup Mediaportal to load fullscreen in the second video display (my TV) and output all the sound through SPDIF (in the same fashion as XBMC does, where both 5.1 sources (DD, DTS, AAM) and 2.0 (DD, MP3) come out through SPDIF). However I also want to be able to have other applications (such as Media player classic, winamp, or VLC) to output normally, through the stereo jack.
So basically when I use it in HTPC mode, it will play through my home theater, and in PC mode, my computer speakers.

Do I need any special hardware for this? Can MP do it?

Thanks
Mono

druid9

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 31, 2006
    Depends a bit on your soundcard.

If you have a soundblaster card - Audigy or so, kx driver allows you to assign various device codes to the output sockets of the card. Using these drivers I have normal PC sound going to the PC speakers, and MediaPortal sound going to the Home Theater rig. Similarly, because I occasionally use iTunes for audio only (does not need DirectX so my kids can play games while I listen). You need Multi-Plugin for iTunes to tell Quick Time player about the devices available via kx drivers. A Google search for kx driver project, and Multi-Plugin for iTunes would be instructive. If I can help let me know.

This is a mechanism whereby MediaPortal could be used for true multi-zone audio, if only MP supported multiple audio devices internally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom