Dust filtering (1 Viewer)

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I expected this to have come up before, but I couldn't find anything by searching the forum, so here goes:

My HTPC is in an Antec Fusion case, which is nice except for the lack of dust filters. It's not that much of a problem - just clean it out every now and then - but the Antec case does hoover up any dust that wafts in its general direction! There's a wood burning fire in the room as well, which doesn't help at this time of year.

I reckon I've got three options.
    1. Keep cleaning out the dust every few weeks (which is what I've been doing up to now).
    2. Get a new case with dust filters (don't really want to do that)
    3. Add some filters to my existing case (seems like the best option)

The Fusion case has lots of intake grilles and slots, so the obvious thing to do is just cover them all with some dust filter foam. Doesn't have to look too tidy because the machine's in a cabinet and only the front is visible most of the time. There's an annoying narrow intake all around the front panel which may be a problem - possibly could just tape that up without affecting air flow that much as the rest of the case is so airy.

So, has anybody here had any experience with retro-fitting dust filtering? There are the nice-looking (but quite expensive) magnetic filter panels like the ones QuietPC sell (although they'd only be useful for the square grilles), and the cheaper foam sheets - any recommendations on what's good without restricting air too much?

Is it worth the effort, or should I just keep attacking it with the paint brush and hoover every month? Even with the dust from the fire it doesn't get as bad as some machines I've seen from houses with dogs and/or smokers, so possibly occasional cleaning is the best thing.

What do people reckon? Or has anybody actually tried to dust-proof a Fusion?

Rob

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    dust filters work best in a case with induction AND exhaust fans, where its possible to keep positive pressure in the case itself. This means the majority of airflow is produced through the induction fan (and hence through the filter) rather than through other 'miscellanous' gaps in the case, ie, unfiltered.

Personally, Id go the paintbrush route. If you're using a vacuum cleaner make sure you take static electricity precautions as they are a notorious static risk via the wand.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    That's a good point about intake fans - it would certainly be easier to set up dust filters in that situation. All my fans are exhaust. TBH it doesn't really get _that_ dirty so occasional cleaning isn't too much of a chore. It's just that I'm having to rebuild the machine due to a failed mobo, so started thinking about what else I could fiddle with while I was at it!

Rob

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    If you're rebuilding it, why not try and go totally fanless?
    It's not that much of a rebuild - just having to take it apart to replace the mobo (with an identical one). I've thought a couple of times about getting rid of the CPU fan and rigging up some ducting to one of the two 120mm case fans instead, but never got round to it - it would be easier with one of those vertical radiator-type heatsinks rather than the stock AMD flat one. But it's all pretty quiet anyway how it is (and I'm quite easily annoyed by noisy PCs).

I suppose a completely fanless machine would be less prone to getting dust inside though, but that's another project of its own.

Rob

jonm

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2009
    Wales
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    I suppose a completely fanless machine would be less prone to getting dust inside though

Yep, that was the idea :)

Guess it depends how hot it runs now. Mine has an enormous Scythe heatsink which doesn't have a fan, it gets quite warm, but not hot. A fanless power supply seems to be tricky, they're around but v expensive from what I've found.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    Yep, that was the idea :)
    Yes, I realised that just as I clicked submit :rolleyes:

Guess it depends how hot it runs now. Mine has an enormous Scythe heatsink which doesn't have a fan, it gets quite warm, but not hot. A fanless power supply seems to be tricky, they're around but v expensive from what I've found.
    It doesn't run hot at the moment, even with the fans running very slowly and it's only got a standard AMD OEM heatsink on the cpu (with a Noctua fan grafted on). With a bigger heatsink I reckon I'd _almost_ get away with turning the fans off completely, but the inside of the case would get pretty warm I reckon - probably not good for the drives and general machine health just to avoid brushing out a bit of dust every now and then. Interesting thought though.

A proper fanless build from scratch would be interesting - with heatpipes leading to heatsinks outside the case (or vaned aluminium case like the ridiculously expensive Zalman fanless ones, but on a smaller scale). Some not-too-expensive PSUs do claim to shut the fan off completely if they're not running hot ("semi fanless"). But that's going off-topic really.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom