dvb-c (and multituner in future) (1 Viewer)

maxtrash

Portal Pro
November 27, 2004
Tilburg, Netherlands
I've got a new 37" LCD TV wich looks great with DVD/HD but not so good with TV. I'd like to use dvb-c here in the Netherlands (@home). I understand I need a CI and the alphacrypt cam.
I would like to get a dual tuner setup in the future, that would make a lot of sense with the upcoming client/server architecture wouldn't it?
So the alphacrypt will cost me about €100

Should I go for the floppyDTV (aprox. 150) or is technotrend also good (seems cheaper, about €79) + €33 for the CI.
Adding extra tuners for €79 would be cheaper with technotrend but is this either possible now or will it be in the future?

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    i think i'm right in saying that for each tuner you will need a CI, CAM and subscription card. MediaPortal doesn't support soft CAMs or the sharing of CAMs between tuners.

maxtrash

Portal Pro
    November 27, 2004
    Tilburg, Netherlands
    i can understand mediaportal's position in not supporting soft cams or card sharing over the network, but dual tuner with one smartcard is very common for consumer electronics so there should not be a legal issue there.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    But they are closed systems and even though they only use one CAM, they are usually PVR boxes so have additional rental/subscription fees from the provider (Sky satelite in the UK for example).

I think different providers round the world would have different oppinions on this too, so better to be on the safe side than risk drawing attention of lawers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom