DVB off-air or web-based EPG? (1 Viewer)

StuckInTheMu

Portal Member
May 3, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
In the UK, the over-air EPG seems to be pretty good, so what benefits would there be in using one of the web-sourced guides such as Radio Times (with the exception of being able to get 14 days weeks instead of 7)?

Or, put another way, is there anything I'd really miss by using the over-air EPG?

Jim

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Hi StuckInTheMud

Fine for me using DVB epg, 7 days is enough, any TV series are all set to record "anytime on this channel".
    Have used WebEPG for radio times 14 days, but to be quite frank, got bored scrolling through it, so knocked it on the head.

Also work on the principal, whatever it is, at some point it will be repeated :)

Cheers

StuckInTheMu

Portal Member
    May 3, 2008
    Home Country
    The only difference I can see is that you get RT's review as the description instead of the broadcasters info, which is often rather too long and can be some pointless ramblings!

How long would you expect the EPG to take to update from afresh, and does it update continuously or once a day?

Jim

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Well, I've used both. I started using the EPG from DVB-T, but recently I switched to the WebEPG (using the radio times data). The main reason I switched is that I added an DB-S/DVB-S2 card and I wanted listings for BBC HD. However I've also found the WebEPG much more reliable. I have no idea why but from time to time with the DVB version I would just "run out" of program data. I'd look a couple of days ahead and there would be nothing for any of the channels. This was not so bad when I was around (because I could force a refresh manually), but it also happened when I was away on hols and as a result I missed a few things. So far I've not had any problems with the webEPG (though it is a bit more of a pain to set things up).

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom