DVB-S No Signal at 1st tuning event (1 Viewer)

techsc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2008
    MediaPortal Version: 1.1.3 on Server & Client
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue3
    Windows Version: WinXPSP3
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR 4400, Driver 1.47.28239.0

Hi there,

watching TV via DVB-S (Astra) along with the Hauppauge HVR 4400 some channels only work after tuning to another and back.

Example:

- The Server is up and running MP and the Hauppauge Card.
    - On the Client Computer I start MP and select TV - Channel "Pro 7"
    - Result: "No Signal" ("LockedInOnSignal could not lock onto channel - no signal or bad signal" in the TV.log).
    - I switch to Channel "Arte HD" - tuning succeeds.
    - I switch back again to "Pro 7" - tuning succeeds now also.
    - After that, any channel can be tuned directly.

There are some specific channels, e.g. "Pro 7", which are problematic as described.

Please find the logs below.

Thanks
    Chris

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Chris

The issue seems to be related to DiSEqC switching. Hauppauge tuners can be a bit finnicky about DiSEqC, and to make matters more difficult some do it one way and some do it another way. I've just arrived at work but if you can be patient then I'll post a fix for you to try when I get home "this evening"...

mm
    :)

techsc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2008
    Hi there,

thank you! I'm looking forward to get your fix for testing.

Hi Chris

The issue seems to be related to DiSEqC switching. Hauppauge tuners can be a bit finnicky about DiSEqC, and to make matters more difficult some do it one way and some do it another way. I've just arrived at work but if you can be patient then I'll post a fix for you to try when I get home "this evening"...

mm
    :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again techsc

My apologies for the delay. I've looked in much greater detail at your logs and it looks like you're only using DiSEqC Level1AA (AKA port 1, AKA port A). If you're only using port 1 then theoretically you don't even need to use DiSEqC with most tuners. I think the real issue may be that you're scanning the wrong satellite. By the looks of the channel names and frequencies that are being tried, you're scanning Astra 19.2. The frequencies that are able to be locked are those that are common to Eurobird/Astra 28.2. Is there any chance that you have the wrong DiSEqC port selected?

techsc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2008
    Hello mm1352000,

I have only set up one Satellite without any motoer: Astra 19.2. On Hardware side there is a digital transponder and multi-switch from Kathrein. The system supports Diseqc.

On a separate TV-Receiver, Kathrein UFS 922, the sytem settings read:

Satellite: 19.2 E ASTRA
    Frequency: 10743 MHz (11361 MHz, on another page)
    DVB Type: DVB-S (SD)
    FEC: 8PSK 2/3
    Polarisation: Horizontal
    Symbol Rate: 22000 MS/s
    Tuner: DiSEqC 1.0

Thus, at Mediaportal Satellite Settings for the Hauppauge Card I have no idea what exactly to set for the DiSEqC configuration (DiSEqC level, Band,...).

Chris

techsc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2008
    Update:

I have now tested setting off DiSEqC in MediaPortal:

Sat: #1
    DiSEqC: None
    Band: Ku-Linear (Universal)
    Satellite: 19.2 Astra 1H,1KR,...
    Enable DVB-S2 channels tuning/scanning: YES

Result:
    Problem persists. When starting up the client (only this client is active) I cannot tune "Pro 7", but "Arte HD" works. After tuning "Arte HD" i can also tune "Pro 7" and any other channel.

Chris

Attachments

• tv.rar
      6.1 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Chris

I got your PM...

I have only set up one Satellite without any motoer: Astra 19.2. On Hardware side there is a digital transponder and multi-switch from Kathrein. The system supports Diseqc.
    What do you mean by "digital transponder"?

On a separate TV-Receiver, Kathrein UFS 922, the sytem settings read:

Satellite: 19.2 E ASTRA
    Frequency: 10743 MHz (11361 MHz, on another page)
    DVB Type: DVB-S (SD)
    FEC: 8PSK 2/3
    Polarisation: Horizontal
    Symbol Rate: 22000 MS/s
    Tuner: DiSEqC 1.0

Thus, at Mediaportal Satellite Settings for the Hauppauge Card I have no idea what exactly to set for the DiSEqC configuration (DiSEqC level, Band,...).
    MP 1.1.3 is really not able to scan single DVB-S2 transponders like that one (I know it is DVB-S2 because it uses 8PSK) because the FEC, pilot and roll-off settings are not available. That means that you'd have to scan the full satellite to pick up channels from DVB-S2 transponders. I added the DVB-S2 parameters for single transponder scanning to 1.2.0b, so if you are able then it would be best to try to upgrade...

I have now tested setting off DiSEqC in MediaPortal:

Sat: #1
    DiSEqC: None
    Band: Ku-Linear (Universal)
    Satellite: 19.2 Astra 1H,1KR,...
    Enable DVB-S2 channels tuning/scanning: YES

Result:
    Problem persists. When starting up the client (only this client is active) I cannot tune "Pro 7", but "Arte HD" works. After tuning "Arte HD" i can also tune "Pro 7" and any other channel.
    From the logs it looks like the tuning details are still using DiSEqC the tuning details are not changed unless you actually perform a scan.[/QUOTE]

To be completely honest: I am having trouble with Hauppauge DiSEqC myself. Two or three weeks ago I bought myself a Nova S Plus for testing purposes. DiSEqC switching does not work *at all* with the latest driver. It doesn't work in MP or DVBViewer... or any other software I have tried. I have emailed a contact at Hauppauge to try and get some information and I'm waiting to hear back. I have some suspicions about what the causes might be, but I want to reserve my judgement until I get official comment from the Hauppauge representative. In the meantime I am going to be testing with older drivers (if I can find them) and with various changes in the code. I will let you know as soon as I have anything new to report...

Best regards,
    mm

techsc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2008
    Hi mm,

the words "digital transponder" may be not correct. What I wanted to say is that the whole system is cabable of DVB-S2 (full digital support).

I see you have a understanding of the FEC type - things I'm today really not familiar with :D

For testing DVB-S2 support I will try to test MP 1.2.0b.

In the meantime I'm standing by for any update ;)

Thank you
    Chris

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again Chris

It took Hauppauge awhile to get to my support request, but I've been in contact with them several times today. They allowed me to try WinTV 7 to see if DiSEqC works in their own software. For me, it doesn't work - even switching to high band doesn't work. My Nova S Plus seems to have compatibility issues with my EMP Centauri multiswitch. Are you able to test other software - DVBViewer (or maybe TransEdit, which is free to try), WinTV, ProgDVB...? It would be helpful to know if it is only MP that gives you problems.

Best regards,
    mm

techsc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2008
    Hi mm,

after several nights and reinstalling any component I am able to tune channels again. For further information on how the problem may be fixed now I have to perform some investigations...

For the time being it looks like:

DiSEqC was screwed up but is working again within Mediaportal; funny thing: It stopped working correct In Hauppauge WinTV now (at WinTV I am still unable to find/tune some HighBand channels).

The set up is: DiSEqC SimpleA, Ku-Linear (Universal) Band, 19.2 Astra, DVB-S2 channels scanning enabled.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom