DVB-S recording multiple programs (1 Viewer)

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Folks, I'm trying to understand how MP works when recording multiple programs that overlap. So a few questions...
    1. My understanding is that with DVB-T if there are multiple programs set to record at the same time on the same mux then only one tuner is needed. Is there any equivalent for DVB-S, or does each program require a separate tuner?
    2. If you have two programs on the same channel/mux that follow each other but which have a pre/post time of say 5 minutes (so they overlap), what happens? Do you need one or two tuners for DVB-T, what about DVB-S?
    3. How good is MP at discovering conflicts? Will it shuffle programs that are on both DVB-T and DVB-S to find the best usage? Does it look at future overlapping programs when it does this?

Thanks!

Andy

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Folks, I'm trying to understand how MP works when recording multiple programs that overlap. So a few questions...
    1. My understanding is that with DVB-T if there are multiple programs set to record at the same time on the same mux then only one tuner is needed. Is there any equivalent for DVB-S, or does each program require a separate tuner?
    2. If you have two programs on the same channel/mux that follow each other but which have a pre/post time of say 5 minutes (so they overlap), what happens? Do you need one or two tuners for DVB-T, what about DVB-S?
    3. How good is MP at discovering conflicts? Will it shuffle programs that are on both DVB-T and DVB-S to find the best usage? Does it look at future overlapping programs when it does this?

Thanks!

Andy
    DVB-S is no difference to DVB-T in that you need one tuner for each transponder it is just that DVB-S has many more transponders so the chances of something being on the same one is far less.

Pre/post record times count as part of the recording so if you have a program finish at 22:00 and another start at that time and you have pre/post times set then this will be a conflict and require multiple cards.

MP does pick up conflicts and tries to resolve them but does not always achieve it. With a mix of DVB-T and S (like I have) it is not great as sometimes it can schedule a recording on DVB-S for a channel that is on both and then find later that there is no free DVB-S tuner for a DVB-S only channel. Hopefully someone can give you a more technical explanation of how the conflict manager works but I have two DVB-T and a DVB-S and it does the job 99% of the time for me

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi,
    Thanks for the great reply that's pretty much how I thought things work. I also have 2 DVB-T and a single DVB-S and the thing that prompted my questions is the introduction of BBC1 HD. So a more concrete question, do any of the current UK freesat HD channels (say BBC1 HD BBC HD and ITV1 HD), share the same transponder? Or in other words how many DVB-S tuners will I need if/when I start to use BBC1 HD more?

Thanks

Andy

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    So a more concrete question, do any of the current UK freesat HD channels (say BBC1 HD BBC HD and ITV1 HD), share the same transponder? Or in other words how many DVB-S tuners will I need if/when I start to use BBC1 HD more?
    Astra 2A / Astra 2B / Astra 2D / Eurobird 1 (28.2E) - All transmissions - frequencies - KingOfSat

BBC HD and BBC ONE HD are on the same transponder so you can watch one whilst recording the other or record both with a single tuner.

ITV HD is on a different tuner so it watching or recording that you can not watch either BBC HD channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom