DVB-S Scanning problem North America (1 Viewer)

JohnnyG

Portal Member
March 24, 2009
Home Country
Canada Canada
TV-Server Version: 1.0 with 3/22/09 SVN
MediaPortal Version: 1.0 with 3/22/09 SVN
MediaPortal Skin:
Windows Version: Vista
CPU Type: AMD 5400+
HDD: 500G seagate esata
Memory: 4G
Motherboard: Asus (model number not on hand)
Video Card: Nvidia 8200 Gforce
Video Card Driver: Latest
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova - S w/CAM
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
1. TV Card Driver: Latest BDA
2. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR - 1600
2. TV Card Type: ATSC/NTSC
2. TV Card Driver: Latest
MPEG2 Video Codec: Nvidia
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Nvidia
h.264 Video Codec: Cyberlink Pdvd 7
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Bell TV
HTPC Case: Antec
Cooling: Twin 120mm
Power Supply: 500w
Remote: Hauppauge
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

I've been playing with media portal now for about two weeks, after months of searching for a HTPC interface that best meets my needs. I absoultely love the program, the features, and support.

I do have one problem that I hope someone can help me with. I realize that the bulk of the testers and developers are overseas from my location, but I am hoping a fellow North American that may have experienced the same issue as myself, may see my cry for help :(
I have seen a couple of threads almost two years old where sucessful channel scans are reported, but they don't seem to apply to my issue.

All of the information that I list below, pertains to the DVB-S setup tabs in the TV server.

I have dish pointed at Echstar 8, which is a circular KU band high freq sat.
I am not currently using a switch and it is a standard legacy LNB with a lo of 11250.

So in the DVB-S card setup, I select the first row and set the diseq to none, LNB type as KU-Circular, and the appropriate sat from the list.

I check off the override default LNB settings box and change the lo from 10750 to 11250.

Problem #1 - when I go to scan the channels I have no signal found for all TPs. I know the setup is good outside of media portal, as I have all channels scanned in DVBdream and mytheatre. I also have an STB that I am using until I get this sorted out. I have tried adding the high freq as 11250 and I have also tried using the dishpro bandstacked lnb settings (which my lnb is not). I lucked out once and managed to scan with the following results:
New channels: 20 Updated channels: 243
However when went to the TV channel section of the TV-Server config, it only showed 8 channels from the same transponder, doubled, and approx 20 channels from a sat at the same orbital postion (but not the provider I'm after).
The doubling of the channels I would assume is caused by the LNB setting at bandstacked, so the dvb card is not switching polarities on my lnb and it is scanning the same TP freq/polarity twice.

Problem # 2 - I have resolved but thought that I should let the developers know. When I click the update sat list button, it downloads all of the TP ini files fine until it reaches about 61.5 degrees. The ini files after that all read as download fails.
I went into the XML file that specifies where the TP info is downloaded from, and it looks like the URLs for that site are no longer valid. I pasted in a different URL with valid locations for the ini files for each sat. The update list button now downloads all the TP ini's without failing.

So I am hoping that someone will be able to help me with problem #1. I read somewhere that there was a script that needed to be run to update the SQL tables, but that the issue was corrected in an SVN. My problem occurs regardless of whether I use the media portal 1.0 release alone, or with the latest SVN released on the 22nd of March.
I also had this problem when I first tried DVBveiwer, but I just removed the program and didn't bother trying to figure it out as I had alternative options. In this case I don't see any alternative to Media Portal :D

My other options that I will be examining in the next few days, is to see if I can somehow import my channel list from DVBdream. I could definitley live with having to scan in an external program if it will get the channels into media portal. I also have a 39" dish with a standard linear LNB (lo 10750) and a sg2100 positioner that I plan to incorporate into the setup, but only if I can get this issue resolved first. As the circular sat that I am trying to get makes up the majority of my programming.

Thank you in advance for any tips, suggestions, or info that anyone can provide.

I also apologize for posting in the wrong section. I just noticed that I posted in the Media 1 support instead of the TV-Server support section.
:oops::sorry:

JohnnyG

Portal Member
March 24, 2009
Home Country
Canada Canada
Found a solution in case anyone is interested and comes across this thread.
The DreamToMP program will back up your DVBdream channel list and import it to MP. You can also use it to manipulate the MP channel list by sorting ect.

It's an extra couple steps in the setup process and requires the two extra programs on the PC, but hardly a show stopper. Once the channel list is imported to MP, dvbdream is closed and not used again until the next scan.

Hopefully it will be fixed one day, if not, it's a small price to pay for the rest of the functionality.

Grahamgo

Portal Member
May 15, 2009
Mexico
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thanks, MediaPortal DVB-S does make a mess of scanning, with "unknowns", channels doubled, missed ID's etc. I recently put a question to the Newcomers forum "DVB-s lots of unknowns.."

But no surprise didn't get a reply, I guess we are in the minority. For me dvbdream is the yardstick, it always provides an accurate scan od 119w for me. So having the utility DreamtoMP is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom