DVB-S TBS 6981 weird problem: one tuner good the other not... (1 Viewer)

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Hey guys,

anyone an idea for me:

I have a weird problem with my TBS 6981: First tuner has no signal or very bad signal and misses quite a lot channels while scanning. Tuner #2 works just fine. Do you have an idea what the issue could be? I am pretty new to dvb-s so I have no clue...

Tuner #1 finds 245 TV channels
    Tuner #2 finds 343 TV channels

Logs are located at: http://pastebin.com/agFuz3LU and http://pastebin.com/YZ6gn33i

What I have seen is that if I scan both tuners simultaenously the bad tuner finds more (but not all channels). But this doesnt help because yes, it maps the channels to the card, but within MP I get the "No Signal" quite often then.

I tried with driver 2.0.0.18 and 2.0.1.5 both with same result.

Happy for every input from you guys.

The Stig

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    I had this on my TBS 6280 and it was a bad cable connection from the LNB on the dish. Try swapping the the two feed cables over to see if the problem moves from tuner one to tuner two. Also, make sure you have a good tight connection between the card and LNB as the cables provide power to the LNB in order for it to work.

Hope that helps.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Thanks for your input. Swapping cabled did indeed move the problem from one tuner to another. But using two all new cables let the problem persist.

What do you mean with a good tight connection between card and LNB? Current setup here is a dish on the roof, a 6x active switch (at least its powered) in the basement and from there going to 1st floor where ich have two cables coming out...

Can I swap cables on the switch or is there a certain order when it gets in the switch?

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    A few additions in case anyone has ideas:

The setup is:
    Dish -> Quadro-LNB-> Multiswitch (Digisat MS 5600) -> TBS 6981

Don't know where to search the error currently. Checked all cabled connections and seems fine so far. Anyone an idea?

DJBlu

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2007
    Llanelli
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Have you got another LNB to test with?

I had a problem where 1 of the connectors on my quad lnb broke and I thought it was the cabling.

Also If you can connect directly from the lnb to card to test that there is nothing wrong with the switch also.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Hey @DJBlu,

thanks for your header. Unfortunately I have no access to the roof where the dish is. I guess I have to call my electrician (who recently installed the stuff) to check it. But I want to be most possible sure, that it isnt a software or htpc-hardware related problem.

Direct connection between LNB and card...hrm...would need an adapter since they're all f-connectors. But could be an idea. Can I just use the cables coming from the quadro lnb? On my switch (http://www.digisat.de/produkte/view...nt=20&ug2:int=197&ug3:int=149&artnr:int=11259) on the inputs there is something about high/low band and vertical/horizontal in.

EDIT: Reminder to myself: Maybe PSU defective? Check other PSU or remove parts from htpc...

EDIT #2: Just tested, with TBS own viewer: Same problem. So not MP-related...

Last edited:

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Thanks for your input guys. I solved it by calling the electrician. It was a short circuit in the socket...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom