[confirm] dvb subs, teletext subs, framedropping (1 Viewer)

mylle

Portal Pro
April 14, 2005
Denmark
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi guys,

First of all. Thanks for RC1 .It is working out really nice for me. I think however that i have found a bug.

I installed RC1 (with svn25122. but it also happens with just RC1) on 2 almost identical machines. both core2duo processors and geforce 9400. same drivers. NO 3rd party plugins yet until everything is stable!

My tv server has 1 dvb-c card and 2 dvb-s cards.

on client 1:
sd on dvb-c - flawless
sd on dvb-s - intermittent choppy picture and framedropping
hd on dvb-s - not perfect but not so choppy

on client 2:

sd on dvb-c - flawless
sd on dvb-s - flawless
hd on dvb-s - flawless

I could not for the life of me figure out why system 2 was running flawless and system 1 was not until i noticed that i forgot to setup DVB subs on client 2.

I then disabled DVB subs and teletext on system 1 and now this system was running great too with no framedropping :)

I do however want DVB subs on my systems and started playing around a bit.

with DVB subs enabled but teletext disabled systems were running perfect BUT they did not show DVB subs :(

with teletext enable but dvbsubs disabled systems were running perfect and this time with subs on some channels (dont know how to tell the difference between teletext subs and dvbsubs but i believe they were dvb subs)

CONCLUSION: when enabling both dvbsubs and teletext at the same time picture becomes choppy and i have framedrops and this happen with any mix of video and audio codecs.

Also im puzzled why i am able to choose DAN twice in available languages. I chose both to be certain. Maybe that a problem?

Hopefully someone can look into it

thanks

Jacob

EDIT: I guess system 2 is actually running just fine even with both teletext and dvbsubs.

Attachments

• no framedropping no subs.zip
    30.7 KB
  • framedroppng but subs.zip
    30.7 KB

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I bet you are receiving both teletext and DVB subtitles (depending on the used channel). Sounds like there is just not enough processing power (subtitles are quite CPU hungry on HD resolutions).

Please upload a TS sample that can be used to reproduce the issue and I try to check if there is anything what we could do. Tteletext subtitle rendering might be the reason since it is most likely done in the main thread - I cannot fix that as I know nothing about it :) DVB subtitles are using non-main thread to do the CPU hungry work in RC1.

mylle

Portal Pro
    April 14, 2005
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi Tourettes,

I will try to create a sample but i would be surprised if it performance related as this is a 3ghz core2duo cpu. Also i have never seen this problem before RC1

Also note that this is happening more on SD channels than HD channels.

Do you have any clue as to why i able to chose DAN (danish) twice in the availible languages window.

mylle

Portal Pro
    April 14, 2005
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    ok. Its definately a dvbsub problem. Teletext subs are working with no problem.

I have uploaded a sample where dvbsubs were enable and where i have massive framedropping. Weird thing is that when playing back the recording the subs do not even show up but the framedropping is there. Hopefully you can find out whats going on.

zSHARE - sample.zip

Thanks for all your help.

mylle

mylle

Portal Pro
    April 14, 2005
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Could somebody please take a look at this. Which one of the devs is the expert of DVBsubs :)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Could somebody please take a look at this. Which one of the devs is the expert of DVBsubs :)

There are no subtitles in the sample you supplied :confused:

[edit]well, no DVB-subtitles, but there are Teletext-subtitles in danish, finnish, norvegian and swedish.[/edit]

mylle

Portal Pro
    April 14, 2005
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thanks Pilehave,

When i recorded the sample i had subtiltles but i also notice that they were gone when playing back the recording.

Did you notice the framedropping? Any idea what could be causing this?

Actually i did some more testing and found out that it is only happening on this one system. I have to test some more tonight.

I do still have one question that has remained unanswered.

Why do i have 2 x DAN options in the availible languages window? the thing i still need to test is if there is any difference between chosing both or chosing one at a time, but i dont understand why there are 2 to chose from in the first place :(

Maybe thats what is causing this whole issue.

regards
    Mylle

mylle

Portal Pro
    April 14, 2005
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    tourettes

Did you check the sample?

Also it has got to be an error that you can keep adding preferred language in the subtitle section over and over and over again. See attached screenshot.

regards

Jacob

Attachments

• error.jpg
      error.jpg
      61.5 KB

mylle

Portal Pro
    April 14, 2005
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    The mediaportal.log has alot for subtitle info in it. 146kb for just 3 minutes of video.

Isnt that alot?

Logs attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom