[confirm] DVB Subtitles default on (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: v1.2B
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: XP Pro SP3
CPU Type: Athlon II X4 630
HDD: 2TB Samsung F4
Memory: 4GB DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: Biostar TA790GXB3
Video Card: HD6950 2GB
Video Card Driver: 11.4
Sound Card: onboard Realtek AC97 (ALC662)
Sound Card AC3: no AC3
Sound Card Driver: 6.01.6299
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova-T 500
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 4.3.27240
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink PDVD11
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshowDXVA
HTPC Case: Custom
Cooling: Scythe 120mm Bottom Intake Fan, Stock CPU HSF
Power Supply: OCZ StealthStream 400W
Remote: Nova-T 500
TV: Sony XBR800 36"
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

I sometimes want to put subtitles on TV, so I have to Enable DVB subtitles in MP Config. However, this causes them to come on every time I start LiveTV and I then have to manually turn them off.

This seems like it should be the other way round (IE the subtitles are off by default and I choose when I want them on) as it is with every other subtitle capable TV or DVB STB I've ever come across. Perhaps there's some way to change this that already that I'm not aware of?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi doveman

Can't you use the l key (l for Lamda) to turn subtitles on or off without having to dive into MP config? That way you can turn them on or off as required...

mm

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi mm

L key just seems to cycle through the subtitle options, which is what the key on my remote, assigned to Next Subtitle does. But if I don't tick Enable DVB Subtitles in MP Config, the remote key doesn't do anything, so I don't suppose the L key will either.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Sorry, meant to report back that the L key just works the same as the remote button. So I have to enable DVB-T subtitles in MP Config and then they come on by default everytime I start LiveTV.

Please can someone fix this so that the user gets to choose to turn them on if and when required, rather than be forced to turn them off whenever they don't want them (IE most of the time).

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Sorry, meant to report back that the L key just works the same as the remote button. So I have to enable DVB-T subtitles in MP Config and then they come on by default everytime I start LiveTV.

Please can someone fix this so that the user gets to choose to turn them on if and when required, rather than be forced to turn them off whenever they don't want them (IE most of the time).

Here is my proposal. When dvb subtitles are on, they work as they do now. And when disabled in Mp config, the are still available, but not displayed as default. Countries like Finland, I need them to be automatically on and displayed.

Br,

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Here is my proposal. When dvb subtitles are on, they work as they do now. And when disabled in Mp config, the are still available, but not displayed as default. Countries like Finland, I need them to be automatically on and displayed.

That would have one side effect. The DVB subtitle filter would be always loaded to the directshow graph - this is not something we want to happen.

So, we would need three different values for the setting:

#1 enabled (default on)
    #2 enabled (default off)
    #3 disabled

Clearly a new feature, hopefully someone has time to implement such for the 1.3.0.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    That would have one side effect. The DVB subtitle filter would be always loaded to the directshow graph - this is not something we want to happen.

Dumb question: why is that a problem?

I guess channel change or startup speed, but it would be good if you could confirm for those of us who have no idea about these areas of the code. ;)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Dumb question: why is that a problem?

I guess channel change or startup speed, but it would be good if you could confirm for those of us who have no idea about these areas of the code. ;)

The less filters the DS graph has active the better (less error prone, a tiny bit faster graph rebuilds).

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    For me this is a bug but I have been trying to get this changed for a long time now.... Any STB allows you to turn on/off subtitles. In MP you can either have then off (never available) or on (every time you start TV they are there and you need to turn them off)

As regards the graph is it not possible that adding this in say ATSC graphs could break things?

I was under the impression that the CoreCC patch actually fixed this always on feature but I guess either it was never comitted or that bit got left out

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country

So, we would need three different values for the setting:

#1 enabled (default on)
    #2 enabled (default off)
    #3 disabled

Clearly a new feature, hopefully someone has time to implement such for the 1.3.0.

I don't know much about these things but I agree that it would seem sensible to not load the filter unnecessarily (IE for people who never want to use DVB-T subtitles).

Would it be easier to just change the current behaviour from default on to default off, rather than implement your idea of three different values? It's just I want to build my brother an MP HTPC and I'm sure he'll want to use subtitles occassionally, but I know he'll be rather put-out by having to turn them off manually the rest of the time.

I'm not ignoring what te3hpurp said, just wondering whether he's in the minority and thus should have to put up with turning subtitles on every time, rather than everyone else having to put up with turning them off the majority of the time. I'd suggest a poll, but that might not be very fair as many users might not see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom