DVB-T subs, and text-to-speech from subs ??? (1 Viewer)

lsandini

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Kuopio
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hello there,

I am completely new to MP, and I am discovering a few features that I thought didn't exist.

First of all, I only have a Pinnacle PCTV USB stick, that I installed with the bundled software (v.3.46). A free upgrade (288MB) is available from Pinnacle, that takes you to Mediacenter 4.11. It all works perfectly, recording, etc... Moreover, a beta version v.4.27b activates DVB-T subs on finnish TV channels, which is great.

I decided to give MP a go, based on a friend's advice. Install was a breeze, channels tuing was longer though. But once installed, it works fine, subs included !!! My only problem is a stuttering effect, about every 5 seconds, which is rather annoying.

A second thing I noticed, was when I decided to right-click the running TV show, and I was presented with a menu offering to change audio tracks. I went from the current one to the other available, which was the read-out of the subs, using a text-to-speech engine. One voice for all actors.

I didn't find a mention of that anywhere... is it a feature of MP ? Is there really a second audio track in the DVB-T stream ?

Lorenzo

lsandini

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Kuopio
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Well well well,

I made a discovery last night, when watching TV on my regular TV set and external tuner. I was reading teletext and looking for teletext subs for a finnish movie in which it was difficult for me to understand one of the actors.

"Teletext subs are available on page xxx, but for digital TV, please select the dutch audio stream..." WTH ? Dutch audio on a finnish movie in Finland ? So I went there and selecting the dutch audio stream I got the finnish DVB subs (and of course the audio remained finnish).

So, it explains why in MP I get the option to select a second "unknown" audio stream, in which I hear the Text-to-Speech conversion of finnish DVB subs. The second audio stream is only available when the movie has DVB subs apparently.

I still don't know what settings of MP must be activated or deactivated to see the subs and not hear them, but I have half of my solution there.

Lorenzo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom