DVD player lockups (1 Viewer)

tim50stroud

Portal Member
November 9, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Mediacentre running XP, Mediaportal 1.1.2. All playbacks of video from the hard drives is fine, but using the SATA DVD player it randomly freezes during playback needing a reboot.
Hard drives are SATA, tried swapping headers round but no change
Swapped DVD drive
Tried DVD on a USB/SATA interface
Windows updated ok. (SP3)
Any thoughts?

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is there anything in your logs when this happens? Do the windows system logs show something?

Do you have another program that could periodically access the DVD?

tim50stroud

Portal Member
    November 9, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Its one of those intermittant faults, hard to tie down. The PC is only used as a mediacentre, and I prefer Mediaportal as the playback; but you're right, I have another I could try. I wasn't sure what drivers mediaportal used to access a DVD, so assumed it was within Mediaportal....

Where are the crash logs maintained in windows? Thats another useful track...

Running Mediaportal this evening, playing a DVD, locks up and blue screen in 0.5 hr.
    Switch to my old media software Zoom from http://www.inmatrix.com/ and no problem, playing for 3 hr continuous.

So, how do i pursuade mediaportal to use the same codec/ player as Zoom??

My knowledge of codecs and dvd players is limited, but seems the problem is here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems to be a matter of changing codec to FFDshow from the one mediaportal decided to pick.

Have played 3 videos on the trot, no fault found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom