DVD rips stuttering every few minutes ** Solved ** (1 Viewer)

Moonracer

Portal Member
December 28, 2008
SC
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I've setup MP 1.0 on a new system.

E8500 DC Intel
9400 Nvidia
4GB of system mem.
2TB WD External HD USB 2.0
Windows XP Pro
Codecs: links from MP main page
HD Codec: CoreAVC

I can play the killa sample without issue and no stuttering and this file is on my external hard drive. I use MP mainly for my DVD collection.

I have some video files that I downloaded from the web. I've noticed that some of my DVD's stutter for a split second about every 4 or 5 minutes while watching. These are newer movies with 5.1 sound. The video and sound are affected.

To test I took a rip of LOR and copied it over to my external drive and it stutters as described above. I then tried to play the actual DVD and no stuttering. The DVD rips on the external were already ripped so the ripping process is not the issue I don't think anyway.

I'm going to copy a known stuttering movie onto the internal hard drive and test again.

USB 2.0 should be able to handle it so I'm not sure what to think. Older DVD's play fine so it seems to be a bandwidth issue.

The computer I'm using is a new high-end shuttle that I just bought so no doubt it's USB 2.0 and all the drivers are loaded with nothing complaining about incorrect drivers.

The External HD is new and I have it set to mirrored mode. This would only affect bandwidth when writing data to the drive and not reading it.

Any suggestions? I love MP and need to get over this hurdle then I'm golden.

If I need to post more detailed information let me know.

Thanks!

Moonracer

Portal Member
December 28, 2008
SC
Home Country
I'm going to try the suggestions here to see it helps me. The issue here is that ripped DVD's don't play at all yet mine do but with a slight stutter every few minutes.

I'll let everyone know what I find.

Cheers,

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/watch-edit-videos-104/cant-watch-dvds-usb-external-hard-disk-31481/index2.html

Okay, mounting my external HD to a folder on the C: partition did not solve my problem!

I just copied over a ripped movie that stutters quite a bit to my internal hard drive and no problems.

There must either be an issue with using USB External drives. I suspect that if I use an eSata drive that it would solve my problem. I just dropped $240 for this mirrored 1TB drive from WD. I will try a single 500GB drive to see if the issue is with the 1TB drive that is being mirrored.

I'll keep everyone posted...

Moonracer

Portal Member
December 28, 2008
SC
Home Country
I read where some mentioned having issues while trying to play DVD's ripped to an external hard drive. Something about 'reading' the TS_VIDEO structure might be causing it.

Well, that is not the case here. I just installed daemon tools and ripped a movie that is stuttering to .ISO format.

I am still experiencing stuttering even when MP mounts the ripped movie.

Since I've had success with playing straight from the DVD and my internal hard drive, this is clearly an issue with either my hard drive or because I'm using USB.

My next step is to try with an different external USB hard drive.

If anyone can add to this, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Moonracer

Portal Member
December 28, 2008
SC
Home Country
Well my problem appears to be my new 2TB WD external hard drive. I tested two movies with stuttering problems on a small 500GB external USB drive and they showed no stuttering.

I noticed that the 2TB drive needed drivers for Windows XP when just about every other external USB drive does not. Maybe it's something weird going on with the drivers or the fact that it's mirroring. Not sure how that would cause an issue when reading data from the drive but oh well.

I may try to disable the RAID 1 to see if this solves it. If not, I'll have to pick up another drive that doesn't offer internal RAID.

Regards,

Moonracer

Portal Member
December 28, 2008
SC
Home Country
I've confirmed that the issue was actually with the RAID 1 configuration on the Western Digital 2TB External hard drive. I changed the RAID config from RAID 1 (mirroring) to RAID 0 (striping) and now video runs fine from the drive. I've got uncompressed BD video playing from it without issue.

Just for the record; if you plan to use RAID with MP, do not use the internal RAID provided by the hard drive itself for RAID 1. Now this may not be an issue since not all RAID controllers are made equal but Western Digital's 2TB RAID 1 requires too much overhead and doesn't work well enough.

Cheers,
Moonracer

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for the answer, have bookmarked this for future reference, as these drives will become increasingly popular amongst htpc enthusiasts i'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom