Dvi --> Hdmi (1 Viewer)

dominique

Portal Pro
May 17, 2007
sdfsdfsdf
Home Country
Cameroon Cameroon
I'm not sure where I must put this topic, so I will put here. Sorry. I have problem with connecton between HTPC and LG LCD TV. Now i have normal VGA cable between LCD TV and graphic card. But I have DVI output on graphic card and HDMI in LCD tv. Today I buy DVI--->HDMI cable and try to connect to HTPC. I can't setup picture in graphic card driver . I have nvidia Gforce 7600 GS, and standard nvidia driver. I'm not sure what I must setup in all this options. Clone mode, dual mode.. whitch resolution.. to many question for me.. So If someone now how to setup this, please post short guide to help me. Picture via VGA cable is ok, but if I can use DVI/HDMI is better solution. I try to read nvidia tutorial, but it's complicated. Thank you.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    If you are only going to run DVI:
    - Shut down computer
    - Remove VGA-cable
    - Connect DVI/HDMI
    - Power on button

- Change resoultion and refresh rate.
    - Enjoy

Since you were smart and got yourself a LG LCD, you probably will get a great picture with 1:1 pixelmapping.

dominique

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2007
    sdfsdfsdf
    Home Country
    Cameroon Cameroon
    Thank you for the answer. I try to setup like you told me.. but i can't get the picture quality like on VGA. My LCD have nativ resolution 1366X768 and with VGA cable I can setup in display propertis right this resolution. Then picture is excelent. I buy DVI-HDMI cable probably for nothing.. I try to find answer on internt and now I'm little concern. I find information that the HDMI have only few resolution and one standard resolution is 720p. If I set this resolution, picture will be worster then with VGA cable, while LCD screen have the best picture on nativ resolution.. Now I'm confused. Can someone explain this on simple way. :confused:

Darre

Portal Pro
    April 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Simple; you Google for for example:"fulltvname"+"problem"+"hdmi"+native res". Or variations of this or other part of your spec.
    Its a quick way to discover if this is a known problem, and if others already has found a solution. There is very little hope of anyone finding a solution to your problem without that info.

I have no problem using DVI-->DVI with my HTPC, havent tried HDMI tho. Ive never heard of any resolution limits on HDMI, but there might be. My only problem is that Nvidia supplies crap drivers for Vista so I cant make custom resolutions like I could in XP.

dominique

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2007
    sdfsdfsdf
    Home Country
    Cameroon Cameroon
    I try to find anything on the internet about this. I can't find precise answer. You use DVI--->DVI conection between HTPC and LCD TV. I think that you don't have problems while you don't use DVI-->HDMI. Youre connection is like my VGA-->VGA but I think that is youre much better, while is digital and my is analog. Unfortunately my LCD TV don't have DVI input. I have only VGA , S-video, Component, SCART, and HDMI. I try to connect my HTPC with DVI-->HDMI cable. You have the best possible solution. DVI---DVI. Probably you have very good LCD. I think that you can setup nativ resolution in this mod, like me in VGA mod, but DVI probably makes better picture. I can't set nativ resolution when I use DVI-->HDMI. Maybe is problem while HDMI standard support only few resolution (http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/images/articles/hdmi-resolution.gif ) . If I set 720p, I can't get good picture like with VGA cable. Only what I want to now, is it possible to set nativ resolution of LCD screen with DVI-->HDMI connection? :confused: After all I think no.. It's not a problem. I like VGA, it's good quality, but I wannt to now is this possible or not. :D

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Your specs help me because:
    1: You have a LG LCD, so there is a good chance that it supports 1:1 pixelmapping, meaning that you should get a better pic in DVI/HDMI than in VGA
    2: Since you have a 7x00-series gfx - and not a 8x00-series, then you can use powerstrip to get the desired resolution.

Read more: Pixelmapping
    Custom res.: PowerStrip:

dominique

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2007
    sdfsdfsdf
    Home Country
    Cameroon Cameroon
    Thank you for help. Now I don't have time to lern all this content.. Only fast view on links make me worry.. I don't see my tv on list. What if my LCD don't support 1:1 pixel maping over HDMI? If I understand this, I don't need all this things. Then is better solution to stay on VGA? Next days I will lern all this links.. But I don't wannt spend to much time if is VGA the best solution in my case. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom