[NVIDIA] DXVA and gpu fan speed (1 Viewer)

djroberts

June 1, 2010
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi!

I currently have a PIV3.2 ghz / silent NVIDIA 8600GT HTPC running and DXVA is also running fine.

I would like to upgrade the video card first, so I can also use it as a gaming machine and was looking at the asus gtx275 (or anything equivalent) which has a fan. Does anybody have experience running DXVA at low gpu fan speeds (20% to 30%) to keep the noise down? Does it overheat or is it not a problem.

I cannot imagine that on a fast card DXVA will use much gpu and heat up that much, but I could be wrong.

I have no problems turning op the fan speed during a noisy game, but for video playback I would like to keep the system quiet.

cheers,
Daniel

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Country flag
    Hi!

I currently have a PIV3.2 ghz / silent NVIDIA 8600GT HTPC running and DXVA is also running fine.

I would like to upgrade the video card first, so I can also use it as a gaming machine and was looking at the asus gtx275 (or anything equivalent) which has a fan. Does anybody have experience running DXVA at low gpu fan speeds (20% to 30%) to keep the noise down? Does it overheat or is it not a problem.

I cannot imagine that on a fast card DXVA will use much gpu and heat up that much, but I could be wrong.

I have no problems turning op the fan speed during a noisy game, but for video playback I would like to keep the system quiet.

cheers,
    Daniel

Hi,

What codecs/software do you use in order to get DXVA working? I have a GeForce210 card running on windows vista, and I am pretty sure that there is no DXVA working.

Best wishes,

Mark

djroberts

June 1, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I upgraded the machine to windows 7.

On XP I cannot remember if I got MP to work with DXVA (I think I did), but MPC-HC worked fine with coreavc and ffdshow-dxva.

Under windows 7 I can only get MP to work with DXVA using ffdshow-dxva and VMR9. Which is strange, I know EVR works for others.

MP versions were 1.1.0RC3 and RC4 btw.

I took a gamble and got the card yesterday and this is what I found out:
    - dxva is hardly a burden and does not heat up the gpu much. A fanspeed of 30%-35% is fine.
    - For games less than about two years old, you have to upgrade the cpu/mb as well, as it becomes a serious fps bottleneck.
    - I believe a conservative estimate of idle energy consumption is around 150 watts, making it an energy hog. I do not plan on running this thing 24/7.

cheers,
    Daniel

djroberts

June 1, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I checked the settings in MP and it is on ffdshow DXVA and VMR9. I also checked the cpu while playing a HD movie (x264 mkv) and it is almost 0%. Also I know when it is using the gpu, because the PIV cpu is too slow to do decent hd playback.

I have no idea why it works with VMR9 and not with EVR, but I am not complaining, it works. I will do more experimenting once I upgrade the cpu/mb.

Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread