Ebay Chinese MCE remote, anygood? (1 Viewer)

Jonesy_SA

April 26, 2011
Home Country
Hi all,
This is my first HPC build from some older gear. I am working through the XP setup guide on the wiki and am ready to install MP and then StreamedMP. The only horrible part thus far has been following the Codec stuff on the wiki, i just presumed it would all come as a package.

Anyhow, i would like to buy a MCE remote, or remote under $30 to run media portal. I found these on ebay:
mce remote, Computers, Electronics, Home Entertainment items at low prices on eBay.com.au
As you can see quite a few pop up including Dell MCE remotes etc. I am told the genuine Windows MCE remote works well but what about one of these chinese knock offs?
MCE PC Remote for Microsoft Window 7 Vista Media Center | eBay

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. At this stage my HTPC wont have a TV card its more for music, videos, maybe a game or two etc
cheers

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just to add there was another thread posted by mamachan, where you need eventghost to open MP with green button, but aside the original microsoft Ehome receiver seems to be the best which comes with DoXer's link\HP remote or Hauppauge version, users have complained of button lag with other receivers.

HTH

Jonesy_SA

April 26, 2011
    Home Country
    Cool, I'll buy the one from doxers post. Will read up on the issue that Ill need to overcome. My pc will boot straight to MP. I would like to add a racing game or 2 if my pc will handle. I presume I would use the MCE remote to load the game then once it's loaded use the wireless ps3 style remote to play?
    I noticed the MCE remote comes with:
    1*pcs*Microsoft MCE Remote Control
    1 pcs USB IR Receiver
    1 pcs IR emitter wire*
    I understand the remote, the receiver but what the heck is the ir emitter for and why does it have a 3.5 audio jack?
    Thanks guys, you really have been a help.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I understand the remote, the receiver but what the heck is the ir emitter for and why does it have a 3.5 audio jack?
    Thanks guys, you really have been a help.

Its for use with a analogue input from a external settop box, the blaster controls the stb channel changes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom