[Usability] Enable Suspending While TV is On (1 Viewer)

omerfarukozer

Portal Member
April 4, 2010
Home Country
Turkey Turkey
Started on: 2010-05-05
last update: 2010-05-05

Summary:
MP TV Server prevents suspend while TV is on. One should be able to change this behavior.

Area:
TV Server Configuration

Description:
When TV is on manually suspending Windows is impossible because TV Server prevents this. The logic behind this is to prevent third party programs from disturbing TV watching users (according MP forums). However, there are a lot of MP users, including me, who use MP in single seated configuration and does not run any other programs. These users want to be able to hibernate computer while watching TV with a single press of power button.

Let's say that a button of your remote (Power 2 of MCE remote for example) is configured to hibernate computer. When it is pressed PC hibernates if TV is not running. In other case one has to press STOP button, then accept stopping timeshifting, then press power button to hibernate: 3 button presses for one desired action.

My suggestion is an option to allow or disallow TV server to prevent computer from suspending in TV Server Configuration. Note that this option should not be under Power Scheduler Plugin but TV Server itself. Not all users use Power Scheduler but some other (PVR Scheduler for example) plugins for power management.

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    You should not map the MCE power button to hibernate in Windows' own Power Settings.
    You should instead map it to MediaPortal's own "suspend" action. AFAIK you cannot do this for MCE remote directly from withing MediaPortal but you can do it through IRSS (I have done this). Then MediaPortal will successfully suspend even if TV is on.

omerfarukozer

Portal Member
    April 4, 2010
    Home Country
    Turkey Turkey
    Then the real problem is the lack of Power2 button mapping in Mediaportal configuration. I have also used IRSS to do this but don't want to use a plug-in just for this. Assigning any unrelated button to suspend is not something I want to do.

Why this button is missing from MCE remote mappings?

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Why this button is missing from MCE remote mappings?

That I have no idea. But I can only guess that there may be some issue that IRSS has managed to overcome.

BTW: did you know that in MP2 all remotes will be handled by IRSS?

nikos1671

Portal Pro
    April 21, 2008
    Germany
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    the best solution is to buy an harmony remote.i set up my harmony when i press power off ,mediaportal goes to home menu then sent a stop command to stop any live tv or video,and then Power Scheduler do the rest.

wolfi_b

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    AW: Enable Suspending While TV is On

This is normally not necessary.
    I have mapped the MCE Remote "Power TV" Button to the MP internal suspend action. The "Power TV" Button can be remapped with inbuilt remote configuration. So the HTPC goes instantly to standby with one button.
    I also use a harmony remote and so it is no problem that i use the wrong button.

nikos1671

Portal Pro
    April 21, 2008
    Germany
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    what about if you are recording something and you want just close tv and go for shoping???? pressing the power button of harmony pc will go to standby and you will loose the record???

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    If you mean that you have configured the Power button to trigger the Suspend action within MP, IIRC TVServer's PowerScheduler (that is actually handling the power management) will simply ignore it and continue recording. But you need to make sure you have PowerScheduler on bot TVServer and MediaPortal and power is handled entirely by MP.

To be frank, I rarely use the Power button. I simply switch to Home and turn of TV. Never failed.

nikos1671

Portal Pro
    April 21, 2008
    Germany
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    this also i mean guys, from control panel,power option, when i press the sleep button: dont do nothing,so when i watching or recording something and i want just to go out,i just press the power button on my harmony and mediaportal goes to home then hormony sent a stop action to stop any media playback and the rest do the Power Scheduler. its so easy.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom