EPG grabbing over DVBt schedule fails (1 Viewer)

Kaoh

Portal Pro
September 11, 2006
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
TV-Server Version: RC4
MediaPortal Version: RC4
Windows Version: Vista 32bit
1. TV Card: FloppyDTV
1. TV Card Type: DVBt
1. TV Card Driver: BDA latest

I have everything working fine with the Tv server, but I have a bug to report:
My EPG grabbing over DVBt only works a couple of times.
For example, I restarted the TVservice this morning at 05:45, in the EPG.log I see it grabbing for about 5-7 minutes.
I have it scheduled on idle for once every 120 mins.
I see a new grab at 07:45 and at 09:45, but the last one only grabs one MUX and then it stops. No errors no messages, it just does not start the next MUX. After this it does not fire the idle grabbing anymore.
So when my batch scripts restarts the TVservice tomorrow at 05:45 it will update again. But maybe once or a couple of times. But it will fail again after several tries.
I was not at home and did not watch any tv, so the tvservice was idle.

Can anyone confirm this or tell me why this hapens. Cause I tried all settings and this keeps happening. I think its a bug.

crazyfool

Portal Pro
October 8, 2008
i never had a problem with epg grabbing but had to disable it becos it caused video playback to freeze... scheduling a grab with powerscheduler never worked for me either... but i found a program that can grab epg from the commandline and store it as xml and then i import this using the xmltv plugin... works great for me and i have ti set to update every morning...forget the name of the program but if u want i can find out and post it...

spip72

Portal Member
December 9, 2008
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi,

I see something similar here. It grabs EPG for 1 channel pretty consistently, but the other channels are only being grabbed occasionally, and only for something like the current day. What did you do to make it work?

Kaoh

Portal Pro
September 11, 2006
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi,

I see something similar here. It grabs EPG for 1 channel pretty consistently, but the other channels are only being grabbed occasionally, and only for something like the current day. What did you do to make it work?

Well I still have the bug, but I prevent it from being a problem by stopping and starting the TVservice daily. Everytime the tvservice starts it does do a new grabbing cycle. But it does leave you with a daily window of a minute where your tv is anavailable.
I created a batch file that I added to the windows scheduler at 05:45 am to make it work.

But your problem sounds more like settings, did you check all the channels and radio channels to allow EPG grabbing? Its a subsectio of the TV channels menu item in the TV server Configuration tool and is called TV Epg grabber. I have each channel checked to make sure it grabs that channel.
Also check your general settings to make sure you have (on the EPG tab) the "Always try to update existing entries" checked.

And after doing settings make sure to stop/start the service to test, some wettings will not apply till then.

Kaoh

Portal Pro
September 11, 2006
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I created a tv server plugin to solve this problem for myself.
everyday at 5 am it fires a refresh EPG just like the one in manual control section.
This seems to do the trick.

The drawback of the workaround mentioned earlyer (stop/start service) is that my client that is on detects the server unavailability and then will not connect back till you restart the MP client.
Also if anyone is watching something at that moment the connection will be killed and recordings stopped.

So to solve all these problems and the original problem I created this plugin, it schedules a new EPG grabbing session and clears all EPG info from your channels. This way the grapping is not intrusive but will always force a new session. I have it set to force grab at 5 am and there is no option to alter that.

I share it here just in case someone else is in need of such a fix.

Again, this fix will fix any EPG problem you can manually solve by pressing the refresh epg button in the manual control section.

Have fun.

its also published in the plugin of EPG section.

spip72

Portal Member
December 9, 2008
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
The issue I mentioned previously in this thread turned out to be a case of transport id being incorrect. The EPG grabber was searching for channels with transport id x, while the channel scanning had recorded the channels having transport id y. For some time the grabbing has been working ok, but now I noticed that the epg was almost empty for one channel. I restarted the server, and that made the epg grabber fetch a lot of epg for all channels.

Thanks for the plugin. I'll try it now - hoping it will solve my issue.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Anyone having above problem, then try changing the TVServer config\general\epg timeout setting from original 10 to 12 or 15 and see if this helps.

Changing the refresh to a lower value is a bit pointless, if you are not getting the updated epg info in the first place.

Regards

Kaoh

Portal Pro
    September 11, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I tried that. Doesnt work for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom