Europe is better than America! (1 Viewer)

c.hilding

Portal Member
November 17, 2006
ABANDONED ACCOUNT
Home Country
There are two problems in TV-Server at the moment: Being able to add channels manually instead of autotuning, and all channel lists/editors in TV-Server show the channels in the US-way (Index+Name), with no option to change the displaying of the list lists to the European way (Order+Name+Frequency). This just makes it that much harder to setup channels in TV-Server...

Even worse, TV-Server Dec 23, 2006 has a bad Auto-tune for channels. This autotuning misses a lot of channels that Mediaportal 0.2.1.0's autotuner can find(!). I mean 4-5 channels are missing! Not only that, but I use the Hauppauge PVR-500MCE and 1 of the tuners find 1 more channel than the other one. Now that is bad, they are on the same card and sharing a single cable input!

To get around all the tuning problems, I want to be able to add EVERY channel manually by channel number/frequency. Is this so much to ask? An "add channel" button? European users are posting about problems everywhere due to not being able to manually tune/rename/order. I have to make my custom XML file. Sigh. :(

So in short, I want the card setup (TV-Servers -> Machine name -> Card1/2/3 etc) to have:
  • Add channel manually by entering an index or frequency.
  • Renaming these channels immediately and easily.
Edit-I am not talking about the channel mapper, I am talking about the card setup where you tune for channels. I know that the channel mapper lets us reorder and rename channels afterwards but why not fix the problem at the root? Namely that the autotuning is customized for USA and causes trouble for us Europeans (again, check the boards for all the topics about this). Even the channel selection under "Manual Control" is US-centric, the list presents us with the channel INDEXES and CALLCODES (if they were found), not the way the rest of the world is used to. All the lists in TV-Server setup show channels using index and name. Even the Channel Mapper, which should be showing Order+Name+Frequency(Channel Index) at a glance, instead of the US way Index+Name... :mad:

Remember the option in MediaPortal: "Sort channels by index (USA)"? You just had to untick that and the problem was solved. I want that in TV-Server! ;)

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
I only read "I want I want I want" in this post... :-(

About your stupid topic: All devs are located in Europe, so it's not very surprising that features come in first for the European TV standard. This does NOT mean we don't support the US, it's just hard for us to check and it takes ages longer to implement cause we just don't get the signals.
Furthermore as you might have noticed, the new TV Server is still BETA-BETA, so not even released as final! What do you expect?

Please go ranting somewhere else.

Enough said.

chenks

Portal Pro
May 22, 2006
Scotland
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
i can confirm that the tuner DOES miss channels during scan.
it has missed a couple of channels for me that 0.2.0.0 picks up fine

c.hilding

Portal Member
November 17, 2006
ABANDONED ACCOUNT
Home Country
I only read "I want I want I want" in this post... :-(

About your stupid topic: All devs are located in Europe, so it's not very surprising that features come in first for the European TV standard. This does NOT mean we don't support the US, it's just hard for us to check and it takes ages longer to implement cause we just don't get the signals.
Furthermore as you might have noticed, the new TV Server is still BETA-BETA, so not even released as final! What do you expect?

Please go ranting somewhere else.

Enough said.

Why are you grumpy? You misread the post, I am in Europe and the TV-Engine setup does not allow us to manually add channels for Europe, that are on finetuned frequencies outside the regular indexes, which would be fixed with an "add channel" button. :)

Plus the channel editor shows the list of channels by index+name, leaving out a frequency (which is what Europe goes by) column in the overview. What I pointed out is how the channel/tuner interface is a bit lacking when it comes to showing the list of channels you have added. And it's totally impossible to add your own channels without exporting the xml file of channels, adding yours, and then importing it again. (But that is made impossible by this bug). A lot of people request help because the interface is lacking in manually adding/fixing channels. I heard that it used to exist in TV-Engine 0.2.

Thanks for all the other replies. Yes, it misses channels that MP 0.2 catches, and yes I agree with Frodo. :D

PS: About the "I want X", perhaps "everyone wants X" would have been better? Come on, these requests are all over the board, countless topics, I just consolidated them into one thread.

deeceefar2

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Instead of turning your post into some lame rant about European support lacking some how because of American. You could have stopped to realize a few simple facts.

1) most devs, from what I'm aware, live outside the US and only recently was support added
    2) you provided little or no specifics about which channels it was missing or any data that would help to fix it
    3) you turned a topic that should have been straight forward about some features you feel are lacking and possible fixes, into some lame fight about european support vs US, when the both features can coexist
    4) your country says that you are from US...

Suggestions:
    1) drop the sensationalist approach simply state what you would like to request
    2) dispense with the US vs Europe theatrics
    3) change your country to accurately reflect where you are from if you intend to make biased arguments because of it
    4) have a merry Christmas
    :D

chenks

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    strong words from someone who has only made 2 posts!
    don't think you've been here long enough to start telling people what to do !

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom