EVR stutter with all kind of media, vmr9 stutterfree (1 Viewer)

kampfy

Portal Member
November 8, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
MediaPortal Version: 1.1 RC3
MediaPortal Skin: Streamed MP
Windows Version: Windows 7 Professional x86
CPU Type: AMD Phenom II X4 945
HDD: Samsung 7200up 32MB-Cache 1000GB + 2x 500GB
Memory: 2048MB Cosair DDR3-Ram
Motherboard: Gigabyte 770TA-UD3 (AMD770+SB710)
Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTS 250 1024MB
Video Card Driver: 196.34
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio Codec
Sound Card AC3: coaxial
Sound Card Driver: latest
1. TV Card: floppy DTV
1. TV Card Type: DVB-C
MPEG2 Video Codec: PowerDVD7
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow Audio Codec
h.264 Video Codec: CoreAVC 2.0
Satelite/CableTV Provider: UnityMedia
Power Supply: Enermax liberty 500W
Remote: Logitech Harmony
TV: Toshiba 37XV635D
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

hi,

i'm really struggeling with getting smooth playback for quite some time now. this resulted in giving up hope on my old machine at all. i recently got a hugh hardware upgrade (switched from AMD x2 3800+ / nForce4 Board / ATI X1800XT / 2GB Ram to above SystemSpecs) and decided to give it another go. even bought a Windows 7 license to make sure vista was not to blame :)

after stresstesting the new hardware and setting up my system / mepo i ran into the same problems again:

i just can't get smooth playback with evr (no matter what kind of media i play: liveTV SD or HD, Xvid/Divx, mpeg1). when i switch to vmr9 playback gets smooth as butter, but i get alot of stability issues (mp crashes randomly when chaning channels/playing another video; missing buttons and display corruptions in skins).

here's what i tried so far:

Codecs: SAF 4.0 unlocked; SAf 5.0 unlocked; CoreAVC 2.0; PowerDVD 7; latest ffdshow tryouts;
downgrading gfx driver (since i heard the latest nvidia drivers have problems with evr sync in MPC-HC, is this related anyway?); ReClock (vSync adjustions not working, vSync cross never moves to the desired position); turning vsync in driver on and off; stress-tested my hardware... just to make sure

now i'm out of ideas and left with the choice: stutting playback or instable mp... AGAIN! :(

TV (primary monitor when using MP) is running at 1080p / 50Hz, playing PAL media with 25fps
monitor is running at 1680x1050 @ 60Hz (primary when in "desktop mode")
shift-1 show low to 0 dropped frames depening on codec

i think this has something to do with evr sync but i'm really no pro on such things, latest evr.log supply

any hint would be really aprreciated. if more logs or logs with a specific codec setup are needed please say so :)

disastar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2010
    Do you have Aero desktop enabled? Is the monitor really displaying a 1920x1080 image when MP is running? If you go to setup-->screen calibration-->scroll speed, what framerate is reported?

kampfy

Portal Member
    November 8, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    aero is enabled, so is tranperancy. tv is @ 1920x1080, yes

screen calibration / scroll speed fps ain't constant. fps switching from 48,93 up to 50,60fps.

should this report a constant 50fps ? actually the first time i've been to this menu :confused:

disastar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2010
    No, it fluctuates a bit for me as well. Don't know if I can help you. My default install of MediaPortal plus StreamedMP skin works fine with EVR. I never installed any codec packs. In MP Config all my Video and Audio codecs are set to the default. EDIT: Oops, thought you had an ATI card. Never worked with NVidia cards, so not sure.

Actually, this bug report seems appropriate for you:

0002660: EVR presenter is causing stuttering when 25fps material played on 50Hz - MediaPortal Bugtracker

But it says it was fixed? Maybe you have old files?

kampfy

Portal Member
    November 8, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    found this bugreport too, but this is fix in rc3, isn't it ? since it got fix in some rc1 svn allready.

i'm on nvidia gpu, had the latest display driver installed and downgraded to 196.34, since some people reported evr stuttering with mpc-hc and the latest driver. don't know if this is even related to my mp probs but gave it a shoot. same stuttering with both drivers though :(

disastar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2010
    found this bugreport too, but this is fix in rc3, isn't it ? since it got fix in some rc1 svn allready.

i'm on nvidia gpu, had the latest display driver installed and downgraded to 196.34, since some people reported evr stuttering with mpc-hc and the latest driver. don't know if this is even related to my mp probs but gave it a shoot. same stuttering with both drivers though :(

Did you do a clean install? Or did you upgrade from a previous version of MP? That bug describes exactly what you're experiencing so I would think that must be the problem!

kampfy

Portal Member
    November 8, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    clean install, yes

one odd thing i noticed though mp configuration and tv-server configuration say version 1.0.7.0

but i really did a clean install of win7 and mp 1.1 rc3

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    TV (primary monitor when using MP) is running at 1080p / 50Hz, playing PAL media with 25fps
    monitor is running at 1680x1050 @ 60Hz (primary when in "desktop mode")
    shift-1 show low to 0 dropped frames depening on codec

Do you get the same bad results when only tv is connected to the GPU?

kampfy

Portal Member
    November 8, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hA! only tv connected to hdmi = stutterfree playback with evr

reconnected monitor but switched heads (monitor on hdmi port with adapter, tv to dvi port with adapter) -> stutter

tried to get my monitor to run at 50hz but that seems impossible for some reason. when i force 50hz it automaticly jumps to 59hz. tried different resolutions.

this is a great step for me allready. but is there a workaround for this ? since i only have this one machine it would be really terrible if i had to disconnect monitor / reboot every time i wanna use mp:rolleyes:

thanks for all your help so far :) there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

kampfy

Portal Member
    November 8, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    simply deactivating the monitor before starting mp on the tv won't solve the problem, it's seems that the monitor got to be unplugged :/

so whats causing this problem in detail ? would buying a new desktop monitor, which supports 1920x1080 @ 50hz help to solve my issues ? or doase it have nothing to do with the refresh rate and is a general dual display bug ?

any workaround would be great. i'm not really eager to blow another 200€ to get a new monitor :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom