EVR works, VMR9 doesn't (on XP SP3) (1 Viewer)

pjh

Portal Member
May 22, 2008
I've just upgraded from an older RC version of MP to the current 1.0.2, however now I can't use VMR9 - I just get an error.

As I said MP has been playing videos fine, all I did was upgrade to 1.0.2 - I didn't change any codecs - other players on the same machine (for example BSPlayer) can play the same video file using VMR9. Note I'm using an oldish catalyst (6.11) because it's the one that ATI says is the latest for the Radeon 9250 that I'm using.

I tried turning *off* all options for the VMR9 renderer in the MP advanced config, but this hasn't made any difference - can anyone tell me what I might need to do to get this working again?

If I switch the renderer to EVR I get video and sound - it all seems fine but CPU seems high and I'm getting tearing.

pjh

Portal Member
May 22, 2008
For some reason the above zip seems corrupt, here are 2 logs one from the VMR9 run (fails) and one from an EVR run (OK). The only thing I did between the 2 runs was switch the renderer in the config utility.

pnyberg

Portal Pro
August 21, 2006
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
It is because your gfx card is not DX9 compliant. They've changed the rendering between RC, 1.0 and 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 to use a rendering technique that is only available in DX9.

So sorry you need to upgrade your GFX or run with EVR (which does not use DXVA on XP).
Or use the RC version... I think the change happened in build SVN 21720.

pjh

Portal Member
May 22, 2008
Thanks for the info, it's a pity as getting a more modern agp passive cooled video card now seems to be hard.

Any idea whether 1.0.1 or 1.0 will work for me or do I need to go back to my RC? I only use MP for playing AVIs, i love its 10-ft user interface, especially the way multiple taps of the arrow keys skip different increments forward.

I can't install 1.0 :(

Code:
[B]http://install.team-medialportal.com/DeployTool/ApplicationLocations.xml[/B]

Download of settings file failed.
Please review your Internet Explorer configuration and try once again.
Corrupted config file, if found, will now be deleted.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I can't install 1.0 :(

Code:
    [B]http://install.team-medialportal.com/DeployTool/ApplicationLocations.xml[/B]

Download of settings file failed.
    Please review your Internet Explorer configuration and try once again.
    Corrupted config file, if found, will now be deleted.

Try unpacking the installer file (I think 7-zip will do this) so you have separate MP and TV-server installer files - run the MP one first then TV-server.

The rendering method was changed in MP 1.0.1 onwards.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom