Excessive Memory Usage (1 Viewer)

keithwhite

Portal Member
August 1, 2008
Home Country
Wales Wales
Hi

Although i have MP RC3 running perfectly it is using a lot of memory and growing, i started it around 5PM yeaterday and 22 Hrs later its at 314MB.

Is this normal ? if not where should i be looking to solve it

Thanks

Keith

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Which MP version, skin using, what screen are you in when the memory starts to rise, and the screen layout you are using, ie list, small icons etc.

Could it be a plugin that you have installed, try disabling any extra ones installed.

As much information as possible needed.

keithwhite

Portal Member
    August 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Thanks for quick response. The only extra plugin installed was Myworld(google) I've switched that off and restarted MP.

I'm using rc3, Blue3 skin and standard settings. It opens using 100MB and is now climbing without even going to the tv to use it !

Re "and the screen layout you are using, ie list, small icons etc." Haven't found that yet ! So it must be set as default.

I'll let it run for now and see what happens, what other info should I send to get help ?

:D

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    If your in the Homescreen (Fullscreen with nothing running) and 100mb is showing in taskmanager, this sounds high compared to my 32mb (windowed 46mb)

The only other thing that could show as memory against MP is graphical use, which graphics chip\card have you got in your pc.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    If your in the Homescreen (Fullscreen with nothing running) and 100mb is showing in taskmanager, this sounds high compared to my 32mb (windowed 46mb)

With DirectX9 Ex the memory usage seems to be much lower (i.e. on Vista). I did some comparision and the mem usage was 50MB vs. 130MB. Propably just a difference how the texture memory usage in RAM is shown in the task manager (i.e. not a real drop in memory usage).

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    With DirectX9 Ex the memory usage seems to be much lower (i.e. on Vista). I did some comparision and the mem usage was 50MB vs. 130MB

Shoot's himself in foot, ouch, should of checked this out in XP as well, thanks for the info :)

Keith, would still like to know which graphics you have installed, also with RC3, was it a clean installation or did you carry any databases over.

Cheers

keithwhite

Portal Member
    August 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    I've got an Asus EN9500GT Magic (Nvidia) graphics card. This resolved the high cpu issue and fixed the HD FPS issues I was having.

The CPU is AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ and 4GB ram.

When I installed RC3 i carried over the MYSQL dbase I was using. (Changed to MYSQL as I knew how to manage that)

Thanks

Keith

Oh and since I rebooted the machine at 3pm I started MP an BBC1 and currently the memory is at 204MB and climbing

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Sitting in homescreen running xp, now get 199mb memory used, what a difference between xp and vista, but its still not a problem on resources.

If it was a memory leak, this would build up to the 300mb mark in minutes not hours and cause a eventual crash, just watch out for any unexpected\sluggish behaviour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom