export moving-pictures database, and import in MP (1 Viewer)

omriamos

Portal Pro
May 21, 2008
Home Country
Israel Israel
Hi,

Moving Pictures have a GREAT (!!) movie import process.
I really really loved it.

But....
After importing all my movies, I have started Media Portal...
terrible :\
All the moving are just listed in a long-long-long-long list (I have around 500 movies), and it's completely unusable this way.
Until moving pictures will have some sort of a filtering feature (by genre mostly), I will just have to pass it for now.

However, the standard movies database for Media Portal ("MyVideos" ?) have an awful movies import process.

I was wondering if it's possible to export the Moving Pictures database, and then import it to MP for use with the standard "MyVideos" page.

I don't mind modifying xml files etc' a little bit, I am not afraid of a little search&replace :)
but if the database is saved in a binary format, and not plain text - we have a problem..

So... is it possible? :)

thanks!

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Yes searching through the movies sucks but you can always use the remote to jump to a letter if you know what you want to watch,
    I have over 700 and it takes for ever just to scroll down to the bottm holding the button let alone looking at every one, but I doubt you can import it into myVideos, but not 100% sure.

omriamos

Portal Pro
    May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    If I would know what I want to watch, I wouldn't need Media Portal :)
    It's actually faster to just go to: My Computer -> D:\ -> Movies -> The Movie That I want to watch -> Double click file.

I know all the movies I have, I even already watched 99% of them.
    Media Portal is used to make a Library, in order to allow a new user to browse the movies library and select a nice movie to watch.
    If he can't choose at least a genre first, it's useless.

I know that it's somewhere in the future features list.
    It doesn't make Moving Pictures and less useless for me, at the moment. And it's a shame.. :(

z3us

Portal Pro
    December 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Try the plugin MyFilms. You can sort by title, lenght, newest in db, etc. And can filter by genre, actors, video/audio format, resolution, year, etc.

omriamos

Portal Pro
    May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    I have MyFilms, but I don't see how can I import the movies into the database.
    It seems like it only supports importing existing databases that was created before on a different program (Ant movie catalog, DVD profiler, MovieCollector, MyMovies), and that isn't really helping...

omriamos

Portal Pro
    May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Thanks, I am checking AMC Updater.

Internet lookups ("Processing Files" stage) is VERY slow with AMCupdater.. something like 2 minutes per movie.
    Is it normal? :\

update: no, it also doesn't seem to find anything..
    I canceled after 3 movies, and the XML file was filled with only OriginalTitle="" (why empty?) and Source="Path\Filename"..

No other info what-so-ever on the movies, and an empty title even though on the "database fields" tab I've selected all the "internet" fields, and chose "Original title handling" as "folder name + internet lookups".

another update:
    --------------------
    OK, I have un-checked all the "retrieved from the internet" fields (while checking everything else), and changed the "original title" to "folder name" only - and now the import goes smooth.
    However, I don't have any data from the IMDB, obviously... :\

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Oh crap. I'm new to MP and when I saw the default Movies browser function I looked for something better. I assumed Moving Pictures was "it". I've got it working but thought the lack of filtering, jumping around, or at least display the movies in Most Recent order was there somewhere and I just hadn't figured it out yet. It seems from reading this thread that it doesn't have that ability. I've got about 1500 movies. If I add a new one, I can't sit there scrolling madly for 5 minutes trying to find it (and sometimes I can't remember which ones are new, making scrolling useless).

I've looked at AMC idea but I don't think I want to create yet another catalog, especially an external one.

Is there no Media Portal plugin that:
    - downloads movie info, fanart, and covers
    - displays your collection in different sort orders (Recent, Genre, Alphabetical, by Actor, by Year, by Rating)
    - lets you select which dvd cover you want (or poster in the case of old or rare movies)

I'll happily stick with Moving Pictures cuz it's got a nice gui if it's the best of the bunch (I like it so far!). I'm just surprised that there aren't several plugins already in existance with Media Portal being around so long. Any timescales been identified for sorting/filtering and additional/future features?

omriamos

Portal Pro
    May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    yeah, moving pictures have the best movies database auto-importer by far - but this is only the back-end.. The front-end looks like nobody never cared about it..

mortstar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    yeah, moving pictures have the best movies database auto-importer by far - but this is only the back-end.. The front-end looks like nobody never cared about it..

You realise you can make it better, instead of whining like a little kid?

You also realise that people are giving up their free time to make these brilliant plugins and insulting their work certainly isn't going to encourage them to continue developing these things for free for the benefit of everybody?

You also realise that the plugin is very new and still very much in development?

And, in my opinion, with Ryan's skin for indigo and creating (and sharing) some of my own coverart I now have something that looks really impressive.

Oh crap. I'm new to MP and when I saw the default Movies browser function I looked for something better. I assumed Moving Pictures was "it". I've got it working but thought the lack of filtering, jumping around, or at least display the movies in Most Recent order was there somewhere and I just hadn't figured it out yet. It seems from reading this thread that it doesn't have that ability. I've got about 1500 movies. If I add a new one, I can't sit there scrolling madly for 5 minutes trying to find it (and sometimes I can't remember which ones are new, making scrolling useless).

I've looked at AMC idea but I don't think I want to create yet another catalog, especially an external one.

Is there no Media Portal plugin that:
    - downloads movie info, fanart, and covers
    - displays your collection in different sort orders (Recent, Genre, Alphabetical, by Actor, by Year, by Rating)
    - lets you select which dvd cover you want (or poster in the case of old or rare movies)

I'll happily stick with Moving Pictures cuz it's got a nice gui if it's the best of the bunch (I like it so far!). I'm just surprised that there aren't several plugins already in existance with Media Portal being around so long. Any timescales been identified for sorting/filtering and additional/future features?

i certainly didn't mean to 'thank' this post - I meant to quote it.

It'll be done when it's done. What help would it be to you if somebody gave you a 'timescale'?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom