External Display doesn't work after wakeup from hibernate (1 Viewer)

thkogel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2006
    germany
    Hi,

I've tested the external Display with MediaPortal - at the moment I useing 0.2 RC3 with some cvs/snv) - but after hibernate the Display doesn't show anything.
    Have tested with VFD Nixdorf BA63 serial and now with an HD44780 compatible 40*2 LCD. The problem is with both displays.
    Someone an idea?

regards
    Thorsten

Cojo

Portal Member
    September 1, 2004
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I can confirm that. Have the same problem.
    And thats when i'll wake it up from hibernate

thkogel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2006
    germany
    hansdegit

Yes I mean after wakeup from hibernate :oops:

Have tested some:

When MP wakeup from hibernate then the lcd shows only black charachters in the first line.

- I Press any key of the hauppauge remote but the lcd doesn't work again.
    - I Press any key of the keyboard than the lcd working again.

Is there no way to wakeup the lcd automatic from hibernate?

zion22

Portal Pro
    April 6, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    thkogel said:
    When MP wakeup from hibernate then the lcd shows only black charachters in the first line.

Sounds like the power to the LCD was "cut" on hibernate, and the LCD need to be initialized again.
    The line with filled black boxes is what you get if you just turn on the power to a LCD.

You could always try if you get the same result with "Joe Dalton's own HD44780 driver".

maXe72

Portal Member
    May 20, 2006
    DE
    I can confirm this Problem.

A Workaround is to connect the power supply for the LCD to +5VSB instead of +5V. This Line is supplied with power even if the PC is in Hibernate/OFF Mode. But it depends to your LCD if it is powered by +5V or +12V. If it uses +12V there is not solution by now.

Joe (the developer of the Externaldisplay-Plugin) is looking for this Problem. It was solved already, but it seems it returned with some of the newer versions :(

Deco

Portal Pro
    August 26, 2005
    Ireland
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Hi, this is still a problem for me too.

The source of the problem seems to be that when the PC hibernates, power is cut to the LCD. On waking from hibernate the LCD does not 're-initialise'. Solution is to connect to +5VSB (+5V Stand By) provided by power supply. Even when the PC is in hibernate, power is maintained to the +5VSB.

I already have a splice on this line to power my remote control power switch (see:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=17223), so I must give this a try. Alternatively, depending on your motherboard, +5VSB can be got from a USB header, Wake on LAN header or PS/2 header.

Like others with the LCD problem, it is completely resolved (until next hibernate!) by a reboot.

Deco.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom