[confirm] - Extreem CPU usage RC1 & RC2 on Recorded TV playback

Discussion in 'MediaPortal 1.1.0 RC 1 & 2' started by jonesdb, April 17, 2010.

1. jonesdb

jonesdb Portal Pro

Analog/RF IC Design
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Show System Specs
    I have been experiencing extreem CPU usage with both RC1 and RC2 when playing recorded TV. Logs are attached. What I see is a huge amount of late frames and thus frame compensation in the TSReader.log file. I suspect this to be the issue. I have tried several CODEC's to no avail. This is currently a single seat configuration under XP. Any suggestions for solving the late frames?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. tourettes
    • Premium Supporter

tourettes Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +4,810 / 3
    "Video: Nvidia GeForce N6600/ATI Mob Radeon HD4650"

At least the Nvidia GPU is underpowered for MP.

4. Paranoid Delusion
    • Premium Supporter

Paranoid Delusion Moderation Manager

Electrical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1,482 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    From directx diagnosis.

As for the GPU's should play SD, not sure about HD video, the ati 4650M should work though.

Have you tried a dxva codec like PowerDVD's, if not get SAF4.0, you will need the unlocked version, plus for the 6600 older drivers are better.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tourettes
    • Premium Supporter

tourettes Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +4,810 / 3
    Really good find! That is definitely a reason for a high CPU usage. Retail version should be used always, unless you are debugging some D3D issues.

Please use DirectX control panel to change the retail mode DLLs to be used.

6. jonesdb

jonesdb Portal Pro

Analog/RF IC Design
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Show System Specs
    Really nice catch on the d3d9d.dll file. I checked the DirectX control panel and "use retail version" was already selected. I selected the debug version, saved and then went back to the retail version. No change in CPU usage. I then renamed the d3d9d.dll to d3d9dOrig.dll and played the recorded file again. CPU usage dropped from near 100% for HDTV to about 67%.
    The video card may be under powered, but it has done well for the past 18 months. Both SDTV and HDTV have always shown CPU usage I have never seen the sort of CPU usage I see now and I have never seen such a large number of late frames in the TSReader.log before, maybe they weren't logged previously or maybe the signal source (Comcast cable) has gotten worse. I'll continue to investigate and report any findings. BTW, CPU usage on the laptop with the ati 4650M runs at about 65% as well when playing the same file.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!