[confirm] Extreem CPU usage RC1 & RC2 on Recorded TV playback (1 Viewer)

jonesdb

Portal Pro
January 11, 2008
Santa Clara, CA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have been experiencing extreem CPU usage with both RC1 and RC2 when playing recorded TV. Logs are attached. What I see is a huge amount of late frames and thus frame compensation in the TSReader.log file. I suspect this to be the issue. I have tried several CODEC's to no avail. This is currently a single seat configuration under XP. Any suggestions for solving the late frames?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    "Video: Nvidia GeForce N6600/ATI Mob Radeon HD4650"

At least the Nvidia GPU is underpowered for MP.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    DirectX Files Tab: The file d3d9d.dll is a debug version, which will run slower than the retail version

From directx diagnosis.

As for the GPU's should play SD, not sure about HD video, the ati 4650M should work though.

Have you tried a dxva codec like PowerDVD's, if not get SAF4.0, you will need the unlocked version, plus for the 6600 older drivers are better.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    DirectX Files Tab: The file d3d9d.dll is a debug version, which will run slower than the retail version

Really good find! That is definitely a reason for a high CPU usage. Retail version should be used always, unless you are debugging some D3D issues.

Please use DirectX control panel to change the retail mode DLLs to be used.

jonesdb

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2008
    Santa Clara, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Really nice catch on the d3d9d.dll file. I checked the DirectX control panel and "use retail version" was already selected. I selected the debug version, saved and then went back to the retail version. No change in CPU usage. I then renamed the d3d9d.dll to d3d9dOrig.dll and played the recorded file again. CPU usage dropped from near 100% for HDTV to about 67%.
    The video card may be under powered, but it has done well for the past 18 months. Both SDTV and HDTV have always shown CPU usage I have never seen the sort of CPU usage I see now and I have never seen such a large number of late frames in the TSReader.log before, maybe they weren't logged previously or maybe the signal source (Comcast cable) has gotten worse. I'll continue to investigate and report any findings. BTW, CPU usage on the laptop with the ati 4650M runs at about 65% as well when playing the same file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom