Fast forwarding and rewind does not appear to work properly (1 Viewer)

SimonDen

Portal Member
December 5, 2005
UK
TV-Server Version: 20755
MediaPortal Version: 20755
MediaPortal Skin: Blue 3 Wide
Windows Version: XP sp3
CPU Type: AMD x64 3200+
HDD: 2 X Samsung 250GB
Memory: 2GB DDR
Motherboard: MSI K8NGM2-FID
Video Card: NVIDIA GEFORCE 6150 - integrated
Video Card Driver: 6.14.11.7824
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio - Integrated
Sound Card AC3: Coaxial out
Sound Card Driver: 5.10.1.5172
1. TV Card: Twinham 1031
1. TV Card Type: DVB-C
1. TV Card Driver: 1.2.3.5
2. TV Card: FloppyDTV 1.26.02
2. TV Card Type: DVB-C
2. TV Card Driver: 4.5N
3. TV Card: FloppyDTV 1.26.01
3. TV Card Type: DVB-C
3. TV Card Driver: 4.5N
4. TV Card: FloppyDTV 1.26.01
4. TV Card Type: DVB-C
4. TV Card Driver: 4.5N
MPEG2 Video Codec: NVIDIA Purevideo
MPEG2 Audio Codec: NVIDIA Purevideo
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Virgin Media
HTPC Case: Zalmn HD160
Cooling: Zalman 9500
Power Supply: Zalman 460APS
Remote: IRtrans
TV: Panasonic
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

When trying to fast forward or rewind in either TV or recorded TV is does not work properly. It is very slow and time randomly 'jumps' (for example if i set to forward x32 nothing happens for 10 seconds then it jumps forward for 1 minute, then nothing happens for 20 seconds and then jumps forwards 2 seconds, etc..). This has been an issue for a few svns.

thanks

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

This has been an issue for a long time now, at least on clients. It has always worked fine for me on the actual server.

I have reported it several times myself, and to be perfectly honest, I have given up. This never seems to get any response.

There are a couple of things you might try. First of all, I notice that you are using the nVidia codecs. As far as I was aware, these are no longer supported by nVidia, so you may want to try something different. I just use MPV/MPA. The only other thing to do is use the skip steps (left and right arrows on your remote, assuming you use one). This works for navigating recorded TV.

Best wishes,

Mark

SimonDen

Portal Member
    December 5, 2005
    UK
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for your response, I have tried many different codecs (including MPA/MPV) and still the same problem. The fact that this used to work perfectly with the current codecs and broke when MP was updated leads to it being an issue with MP.

Thanks for the tip re using skip steps, I will try it out. Hopefully one of the MP devs will be able to look into the fast forwarding / rewind issue and resolve.

Kind regards

Simon

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I don't think it's a codec problem. Other players ff and rew perfectly with the same codecs.
    I've also reported it once without any response :( I even have it as a request in my signature :D (you should do the same :) )
    I hope it will be picked up before the official release...as htpc software is not really 1.0-worthy if it can't even fast forward or rewind properly, but that's just my opinion.

Skip steps does work quite good, but still act weird sometimes:
    forward for a set time, say 3 minutes (just a wild guess), and immediately rewind the same amount of time in 3 steps, so 3 x 1 minute does not bring you to the same spot...
    This is not always the case, just sometimes.
    It could be that certain steps are not configured correctly or something, I don't know, I'm not a programmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom