feature request: anti-alias cover art (1 Viewer)

Statick

Portal Pro
December 25, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
as it says, really. i have my MP hooked up to a very large and very clear SD plasma, which runs at 852x480

so cover art gets reduced in size quite a lot on this display, and because it's so crisp it means the cover art often looks quite pixelly

please could you add a feature for antialiasing/resampling when this happens so that it looks a bit nicer!

thanks!

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    This is a general MediaPortal issue with the skinegine, and as far as I can recall, the cost CPU/GPU-wise would be limiting the hardware which MP can run on a bit. It's hard enough to run it smoothly as it is ;)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    as it says, really. i have my MP hooked up to a very large and very clear SD plasma, which runs at 852x480

so cover art gets reduced in size quite a lot on this display, and because it's so crisp it means the cover art often looks quite pixelly

please could you add a feature for antialiasing/resampling when this happens so that it looks a bit nicer!

thanks!

Instead of letting MediaPortal skin engine resize the covers on the fly, you could have MovingPictures resize the covers on import. The key is to find out what the actual dimensions of your covers become, because the skin you use was more then likely designed for 1280x720 resolutions. The easiest way would be to make a screenshot inside MediaPortal (I believe it is F11 key from memory) and then open the PNG image in your favorite image editor to verify the dimensions of the cover image. Then adjust the advanced properties inside MovingPictures to resize the covers to those dimensions, which should result in a much better anti-aliased result. And just use image batch processing to do this for all the existing covers.

That or ask for a 1080p for xmas :D

Statick

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    heh, i only last week got given this SD plasma by a friend! i was using a 28" CRT before then!

i'll try that trick with getting movingpictures to resize the covers, sounds like the best idea. thanks!

actually it seems i can just run my HTPC at a higher resolution, and the TV scales down the image internally. which is basically the same as antialiasing the whole screen, which helps in a few other places too, and saves a bit of messing around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom