Feature-request - BIG BUTTONS for small touchscreens (1 Viewer)

SirShagsalot

Portal Member
December 17, 2007
Planet Earth
Home Country
Hi PR,

First, congraz for Monochrome, really like it. Used Xface for a long time, but the look eventually became a little tiring and the extra GFX whizz, bang, smash stuff was a major DragOn (performance - my living system is via epia based, fanles, quiet, has a touchscreen and is veeeeerrryyyyy slllloooooowwwwwww).

Now what would make this perfect for me would be to have larger buttons for the "next screen" buttons below the lists in MP (Playlist, list of videos etc.).

Currently I can only press them using the fingernail on my small finger and even then it is a bit iffy to get it to trigger. There is actually nothing else in the area that would force the buttons to be so small anyway!

The other thing would be a less sensitive left-hand context menu, or maybe even disable completely in normal use or move show/hide to the right-click context menu.

It jumps out at the slightest provocation of a finger that is still actually on the cover of the leftmost CD/DVD/Video etc. and somehow always thinks someone pressed the view button when it jumps out. So I then have to click the view button a few times to get the view back and then I need make the pesky menu disappear again, which I did not call for in the first place.

If possible these two options would be great in config, one for larger buttons and one for "disable left hand menu" or such. Those two issues dealt with would for me at least make MC and the 7" Touchscreen on my MP PC a perfect combination for listening to music (if watching TV/Movies we use remote and big screen of course).

Otherwise MP works fine even on small Tochscreens, the Top-Bar buttons could be a little larger too, but they are quite usable.

Past that - great work. Even the GF commented how she likes things better with MC than XF (she hates Blue anything, I hate pink - so dark schemes are the only ones we agree on).

Greez SSAL

SirShagsalot

Portal Member
December 17, 2007
Planet Earth
Home Country

Attachments

• Untitled-18.jpg
    Untitled-18.jpg
    169.8 KB

SirShagsalot

Portal Member
December 17, 2007
Planet Earth
Home Country
As for the menu thing, I am not sure how to show this.

But if you are in MP in (for example) My Videos and you are pressing up on the remote a menu flips out at the left hand side of the screen. Top item is View and it has various other items, including now playing and playlists (in the music view).

My problem is that this menu very often/always pops out unbidden when trying to either use the "level up" icon in filmstrip view (only one suitable for small touch-screens) or the leftmost cover.

And because of the way the touchscreen "mouse" emulation works (clicks on press or release) this menu always changes the view from filmstrip to list, so one has to click through the options until filmstrip is back and then make the menu go away again.

I hope I am explaining this well enough.

Greez SSAL

:D

SirShagsalot

Portal Member
December 17, 2007
Planet Earth
Home Country
Hi,

How about a little mockup of what you are after...?

I have done a fair bit of programming in my younger days, including .asp stuff, so I can probably wrap my head around doing the button changes myself with a bit of a pointer (nudge is as good as a wink to blind bat, know what I mean?) and if they are fairly straightforward.

Again, if killing the overly enthusiastic menu is not too hard I can likely manage myself.

Greez SSAL

SirShagsalot

Portal Member
December 17, 2007
Planet Earth
Home Country
Hi,

Adjusting the size of the page buttons shouldn't be a problem, but the sliding menu would require quite a lot of changes...

Okay, I'm game. :)

The country I'm stuck in has a long holiday coming up (I'll take eight straight days off happily - even if it celebrates that a bunch of pseudo-commies won a very uncivil war six decades ago), so I can muck about with XML and co. for a bit, when the GF is happy and sleepy.

Is having Dream-weaver installed and working useful?

Assume I understand nothing whatsoever of "skins" (unless Girls are involved). :D

Further assume I know GFX basics, am on speaking terms with a copy of photoshop, programming basics (I actually remember when programming meant punching stacks of cards and I do rather unfondly remember assembler on pre x86 intel platforms) and can read code and comments and make sense from asp/html. :(

If I want to make these small buttons big, where do I look for the code controlling the active zone (I assume probably wrongly that Skins use something like the old HTML Image maps, just not as prehistoric?) and I then fit the buttons GFX to the new space created? :confused:

Probably I am so far off by now, I better go back to shagging :oops:.

Is there anything like a Techidiots guide to MP Skining (I tried to read the Skinners stuff here, but it seems to assume prerequisites I lack and/or enough energy to overcome them which I definitely lack given the main interests). :sorry:

BTW, read about your various troubles, big you up Bro, the only way is up! Often enough a good crash & burn is just a start to something new and beautiful. We are still trying to work out WTF went wrong on that score at last Big bang that produced this universe though.

I hope all gets way better from now and you can get bck to working occasionally on the stuff that gets your creativity up.

I mean your stuff and Harley's is completely awesome! Respect! :D

Greez SSAL

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom