Feature request: Dolby Digital logo (1 Viewer)

Johan

Portal Pro
April 19, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Is it possible to have a little Dolby Digital logo present next to the episode if DD is present in the same manner as the HD logo is shown for high res videos?

Specially for me who turns on and off DD decoding every now and then depending on where I am seated. Then it reminds me to turn on or off DD if the episode contains it.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Possible....propably. I even like the idea.

But I don't think it would be very easy and dev time is probably better spent elsewhere right now. One would have to open the video and look at the audio data. And then I don't even know what even constitutes as DD. Reading out the audio codec probably wouldn't be such a problem, getting the number of channels I guess will already be much more difficult. Ensuring it is "Dolby Digital".... what does it depend on? Codec, no. channels, bitrate? anything else? I don't know.

Ryoga79

Portal Pro
    January 14, 2007
    I don't really know *too* much about audio, but could you at least sort by what files are encoded with AC3 versus MP3? I'm not sure that would meet the OP's DD needs, but it'll at least let you know what is in 5.1 and 2.0 (at least 90% of the time)...

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Well, I think I might have some good news for those of you wanting all this info. Doesn't open source rock? I just found this gpl'ed mediainfo library that seems to be able to parse all sorts of fun data. This should also dramatically speed up HD detection, probably enough that you wont even notice it anymore.

I'll try to find some time this weekend (yeah....I know I said I'll do something soon many times....heres to hoping this ones different).

Ryoga79

Portal Pro
    January 14, 2007
    Hey, awesome...makes me wish i knew the first thing about programming :)

Good luck, inker, if you need anything tested, let me know.

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thing is, to use the Dolby Logo in the way you want it (in a software), you would need to license the software with Dolby Labs iirc.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Well, we're simply going to give the user the option to, based on some criteria, to display an arbitrary image. What image the user chooses, and if it resembles the DD logo, then that is their choice.

We won't distribute the logo.

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, we're simply going to give the user the option to, based on some criteria, to display an arbitrary image. What image the user chooses, and if it resembles the DD logo, then that is their choice.

We won't distribute the logo.
    Perfect!

Jetboy

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Why not use the "square with dots" to indicate the number of channels? There are several on wikipedia. I don't know if they're copyrighted, but we might use them for "inspiration".
    100px-5_1_channels_%28surround_sound%29_label.svg.png

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Why not use the "square with dots" to indicate the number of channels? There are several on wikipedia. I don't know if they're copyrighted, but we might use them for "inspiration".
    100px-5_1_channels_%28surround_sound%29_label.svg.png
    Then you would not only have to find out that the stream is dolby, but how many channels are encoded in it. (The dots indicate the amount of channels in that scheme mostly used on DVD covers.)
    Possible, of course... and nice to have. But that would need additional coding (no problem, but it still has to be done).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom