Feature Request- RottenTomatoes (1 Viewer)

Surferosa

Portal Pro
September 2, 2009
Home Country
England England
Just a quick one- I wondered how difficult it would be to parse information from RottenTomatoes?

The main thing I am interested in is the score as I prefer it over imdb. Personal preference, I usually find myself agreeing more with the scoring based on the critics cencus then against the populist vote.

In addition, because of the way they are scored- imdb scores averages in the 5-8 range on the whole; whereas the critics choice (per RT) you tends to get a better spetrum of scores. As an example of what I mean, in the US Box Office,

Zombieland- RT 88%, IMDB 82%
Couples Retreat- RT 11%, IMDB 56%
Stepfather- RT 11%, IMDB 51%
SAW IV- RT 44%, IMDB 66%

It would be great if it could pull in a preferred critical write-up of the film (say empire magazine or other)- but as it doesnt use the same 'tt' type referencing as imdb Im guessing its impossible / v difficult to do?

Also to say love MovingPics..:D really apprecaite all the work you guys do.

Surf

BlackdogZA

Portal Pro
April 22, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Agreed with Surferosa on this. Rotten Tomatoes is a far superior source of rating info. The only downside for me is that I find it not as complete as IMDB.

pirivan

Portal Pro
January 19, 2008
I have to throw in my sincere vote for this as well. I ALWAYS find RT reviews/ratings to be far more useful than IMDB ratings. I would go so far as to almost consider IMDB useless for ratings at this point. Certainly to look up actor/director etc information IMDB is great (though their site design and images leave a lot to be desired). In any case, another vote for RT as a source for ratings from me.

Surferosa

Portal Pro
September 2, 2009
Home Country
England England
Many thanks for raising it as an issue- wasn't sure if I was the only one.

Got my star...

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    What is possible in 0.8 is that you can have multiple data providers complimenting eachother if you want to make sure the score is coming from Rotten Tomatoes you can make a simple scraper that takes the score and let IMDB fill in the rest. Only thing i'm not sure of is if it's possible to link a Rotten Tomaties movies entry to a IMDB entry.

drealit

Portal Pro
    March 15, 2008
    Starred!

This is definitely something I want to see happen. As the OP displayed, there is a drastic difference in opinion between critics and users. I, like the OP, tend to fall more into the critic category (even though some of my friends, and gf for that matter, heavily disagree lol) and would be extremely appreciative to have my movie ratings reflect that. Great suggestion and a great call. I support this issue!

JoeSmith

Portal Pro
    November 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    would be really nice to have multiple ratings. imdb is ok but there a better options and it might be very nice to have more ratings when switching to details. we need a ratings scraper with multiple options ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom